Hands free boot release.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jaffajim0

Car
E class estate
2017 E220d estate with remote boot release. Rarely works!! I don’t think it’s ever worked if the car is locked and even when unlocked it is as hit and miss as you like.
I read another thread with a different car but wanted to know if anyone has had the same with this model.
I can’t even tell where the sensor is but it seems to be under the right middle reversing sensor. I’ve tried keeping my foot close to it, far away and everything in between.
I assume it’s also part of the warranty.

My S63 AMG Coupe is the same, standing there waving your foot like a demented fool.:fail: People must have thought I was practising my line dancing. I now use the key

Agree, most useless feature on the different cars that I have owned!

@jaffajim0 Works perfectly on my C class. I use it several times a day, and it works first time, each time. Just have to know where to position your foot.

Works perfectly on my C class.
Worked fine on my W212 E-Class too.
I use it several times a day, and it works first time, each time. Just have to know where to position your foot.
^ This.

Knowing where to position your foot and getting the "kicking" motion right will give you a close to 100% success rate.

Have had my W213 since August 2019, but the kick has always worked faultlessly, I think the trick is not to stand too close to the bumper, around a foot away, and put your shoe under the bumper centrally, obviously with the key in your pocket or hand.

Mine is the same, doesn't work very well when you're deliberately trying to do it with your arms full, yet pops open and hits you in the face when you're stood at the rear of the car cleaning it...

I’ll follow the advice and wave my foot at it till I’m bored!!!
thanks all.

Maybe Mercedes Benz do have a sense of humour and have fitted this knowing full well that it will fail and someone will record the owner 'doing the dance' and post it online for us all to have a good laugh !:p :banana:.

Then again it could just be poor design 🤷‍♂️

On my C200 estate I've if you swing your foot underneath in the middle as if going to kick it.

Works every time for me.

The manual does say that it needs a "kicking" motion from back to front, not from side to side. The sensor apparently goes all the way across, but in reality there is a "sweet spot".

The manual does say that it needs a "kicking" motion from back to front, not from side to side. The sensor apparently goes all the way across, but in reality there is a "sweet spot".
Bang in the middle of the bumper

Ha Ha i remember mucking about like a Maurice dancer at first. Stand about a foot away in the middle of the bumper kick one foot forward and back once NOW WAIT A SECOND and hey presto, there you go. Its like the wife you tell her then have to give her a second to try and tell you your wrong, just wait a couple of seconds and it will work. And yes my wife reckons she right. Yea right!

I have a S205 estate with the feature. After a muddy walk I sit in the boot with my legs and muddy boots outside so I can change into clean shoes. A number of times I have swung my legs back and operated the auto close by accident. I heat the chime and the tailgate starts to swing down, it’s a good job it has a safety stop if it meets resistance such as your head. Touch wood no injuries but it does give you a fright as it happens when your not expecting it.

As for opening when out shopping I just swipe my foot near the centre of the rear bumper taking about 3 seconds for in and out. Works every time unless you are trying to demonstrate it then always takes a second go. Seems like you just need to do it in a chilled way and the system will play ball, force it and it goes in a huff! Once you get the hang of it it’s so handy.

I've definitely managed to gesture-open the boot at least once on my 222 500 but I've not mastered it and as I rarely approach my boot without at least one hand free, it's not of much consequence to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom