Handsfree Kit - Removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonnyc

Car
E300TD luxury van
Hello All,

I've inherited a Nokia handsfree mobile telephone (CARK-91?) kit with my E300TD 1999.

There seems no easy way to remove the 'phone cradle from the dashboard as the mounting bracket is secured behind the centre console on the passenger side (at the same level as the heater controls).

How easy is the removal of the microphone (mounted into the headliner near the drivers sun visor)?

Thanks

Jonny

jonnyc said:
Hello All,

I've inherited a Nokia handsfree mobile telephone (CARK-91?) kit with my E300TD 1999.

There seems no easy way to remove the 'phone cradle from the dashboard as the mounting bracket is secured behind the centre console on the passenger side (at the same level as the heater controls).

How easy is the removal of the microphone (mounted into the headliner near the drivers sun visor)?

Thanks

Jonny
everything should be pretty easy to remove, but it all depends on how it was fitted. every install would be different.

Here they are.

Attachments

• phonekit1.jpg
    phonekit1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 64
  • phonekit2.jpg
    phonekit2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 61
  • phonekit7.jpg
    phonekit7.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
okies , looks like youve got a dashmount bracket.

To remove the wood trim on your car , you will need to remove your stereo.

Once the stereo is out , two black philips head screws should be visable on the top lip of the stereo opening.

Once youve taken those out , the wood trim will pivot forward and allow you to remove the dashmount bracket.

Any problems , post back with pickies of whats getting you stuck :)

I bought a s/h CARK-91 off eBay last year, which amazingly (because it wasn't even advertised) came with a Dashmount bracket for a W202 that simply pushes in between the trim and wood fascia to the left of the radio. It is a very tight fit, and needs a hefty tug to release it. I believe the latest Dashmount ones are held in by the radio box mounting screws, which obviously means removing the radio and possibly the front panel trim as Fuzzer states. However, it might just be worth giving the bracket a teeny tug first to see if there is any forward movement before embarking on the trim removal. *edit* I just checked your pics - bracket looks exactly the same as mine (but nevertheless could still be screwed!!).

The mike will have probably been run down inside the pillar cover, which is easy to remove but a bit of a bu**er to put back (it's held on by 3 ill-fitting spring clips). Somewhere in the car there will also be the Nokia distribution unit (its a black plasic box about 5" x 3" x 1") which everything is wired back to. If the mike cable runs down the drivers pillar, I would be certain this unit will be somewhere under the drivers side dash, probably under the plastic tray below the steering wheel. If it runs down the passenger side pillar, then it's likely the unit is similarly placed under the tray on the passenger side, or maybe under the floor tray immediately to the left of the transmission tunnel. You should be able to locate it easily enough by tracing back the thick cable (actually 2 cables) from the phone holder itself, as these also plug into the dist unit. The only reason I'm saying all of this is because if you can get everything out in one piece, they are selling on eBay for £30 upwards! Whatever you do, don't start cutting cables off because the phone uses an ignition feed and sometimes (if wired up correctly) a fused direct battery feed to power it up. In saying that, I don't think any harm will be done by cutting either the mike lead or the aerial lead (wherever that may have been run).

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Alex

Last edited:
Thanks Everyone,

It was a screw-mounted bracket.

The dashboard looks nice and clean, passengers can now see and operate the heating controls.

Now, what to do with the kit?

jonnyc said:
Thanks Everyone,

It was a screw-mounted bracket.

The dashboard looks nice and clean, passengers can now see and operate the heating controls.

Now, what to do with the kit?

Ebay it.
I have 6 of these now as I've changed phones in the lorries. :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom