handy or just another big brother black box?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nick mercedes

MB Enthusiast
Car
Ford Expedition
RAC launches device that will warn motorists of faults in cars before vehicles break down | Mail Online

"The RAC is to launch a device that will warn motorists about faults in their cars before they break down.
The matchbox-sized device, called the RAC Advance, transmits data about the car before and after every journey by slotting slots into a car's computer system.
The automated system means that drivers then receive a phone call, text or email telling them there's a fault with their car."

Now you would think you'd know if there was something wrong with your car, and not need someone to ring you up to tell you?

The mercedes version will have someone from a bodyshop ring you up to tell you about the rust...

Handy or just another way for the government to keep tabs on us?

Does it simply read fault codes ?

As we know, some fault codes are spurious and may not actually be the true reason for the fault to be recorded.

Money-maker and harbinger of problems I think.

Why bother? I have a bluetooth transmitter in my OBD2 port (ooer missus!!) at a costly £12 which sends all the exciting data to my android device.

Cheaper than the RAC, and mildly entertaining in a nerdy way, but mostly boring. Not even he RAC see the results.

RAC marketing puff.

I often wondered why - with all cars now having some sort of alphanumeric display in the instrument cluster - ODBII fault codes are not simply displayed on the dash but still require OBDII reader.

Why bother? I have a bluetooth transmitter in my OBD2 port (ooer missus!!) at a costly £12 which sends all the exciting data to my android device.

Cheaper than the RAC, and mildly entertaining in a nerdy way, but mostly boring. Not even he RAC see the results.

RAC marketing puff.

What make/model is your device? Any links...?

So let me clarify, something goes wrong with your car then just to help matters you get a phone call and whilst taking the call you loose control and crash.. Thats helpful..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom