Happy new year (and decade!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Hi all,

just wanted to wish all of you a very happy new year!

Bring on 2020!

Cheers,
Abs

Happy New Year to you Abs!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Abs, the very same to you too!

Wishing you all and your families a happy & healthy New Year!

Hi all,

just wanted to wish all of you a very happy new year!

Bring on 2020!

Cheers,
Abs
New year , yes , and a Happy one to everyone .

However the decade doesn't begin until next year .

A decade comprises 10 years : our calendar began with the year 1AD , and the first decade was completed with the year 10AD ; the second decade began with the year 11AD .

Same with centuries and millennia .

So this year ( 2020 ) is the last year of the second decade of the third millennium ( which itself began with the year 2001 , since each millennium comprises of 1000 years and the last one was completed by the year 2000 ) .

I'm fed up with media people getting this wrong and perpetuating this fallacy .

A decade comprises 10 years : our calendar began with the year 1AD , and the first decade was completed with the year 10AD ; the second decade began with the year 11AD .

So this year ( 2020 ) is the last year of the second decade of the third millennium ( which itself began with the year 2001 , since each millennium comprises of 1000 years and the last one was completed by the year 2000 ) .

You OK Derek?

We didn’t start counting from year 1 in the Gregorian calendar. We started counting from 1582.

In addition: "The 2020s” are a decade, and begin in 2020. They’re not the third decade of the 21st century of the Gregorian Calendar (that’s 2021-2030), but don’t have to be, because they’re not counting from some retroactive Year One. They’re counting from January 1, 2020.

The decade previous to the 2020s was the 2010s, which began January 1, 2010. And so on all the way back to 525, before which we didn’t number years the same way, so there was no one still alive from “year one” to wonder about how to refer to the decade that ran from 1BC-9AD.

sorry:)

Reactions: Abb

Must be a proper bastard?

Unfortunately it is you that got it wrong, 2020 is the start of the next decade. :) SPX has already clarified this so I wont repeat it. :D

Wishing everyone a happy and prosperous New Year.

Unfortunately it is you that got it wrong, 2020 is the start of the next decade. :) SPX has already clarified this so I wont repeat it. :D

Yeah this is what I was wondering is 20 the 10 or the zero and I've concluded its the zero. As the 1980s like the 90's etc didn't start at the end of 1980.... 1/1/1980 was the eighties. Not the last year of the 70's.

When time started we didn't say wait 365 days till we can start the century as this year belongs to the period before time.

I'm sure I lost everyone but if it helped anyone, no probs.

Sent from my awesome Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Yeah this is what I was wondering is 20 the 10 or the zero and I've concluded its the zero. As the 1980s like the 90's etc didn't start at the end of 1980.... 1/1/1980 was the eighties. Not the last year of the 70's.

When time started we didn't say wait 365 days till we can start the century as this year belongs to the period before time.

Are you sure?

My head hurts......

Reactions: Abb
We didn’t start counting from year 1 in the Gregorian calendar. We started counting from 1582.

In addition: "The 2020s” are a decade, and begin in 2020. They’re not the third decade of the 21st century of the Gregorian Calendar (that’s 2021-2030), but don’t have to be, because they’re not counting from some retroactive Year One. They’re counting from January 1, 2020.

The decade previous to the 2020s was the 2010s, which began January 1, 2010. And so on all the way back to 525, before which we didn’t number years the same way, so there was no one still alive from “year one” to wonder about how to refer to the decade that ran from 1BC-9AD.

Whenever you might notionally have started counting ; the current year is 2020 and that dates from the year 1 (AD) ; and each decade , century , millennium begins with a year ending with the number 1 , because there are 10 , 100 , 1000 years making up each of those units - this is simple arithmetic .

'The 2020s are indeed a decade , and they begin on 1st January 2021 and end on 31st December 2030 , just as the third millennium began on 1st January 2001 .

SPX in his reply , admitted that the third decade of the 21st century will be 2021-2030 , which is arithmetically correct .

The first year ( notionally from the birth of Christ ) was the year 1 ; the first decade was complete in the year 10 ; second decade begins with year 11 etc etc .

It has been explained many times that 1980 is the last year of the decade known as the 1970s , not the first year of the decade known as the 1980s , which began with 1981 .

All of this was debated and explained in 2000 - the last year of the second millennium .

Perhaps it's just like the old tomato argument (is it fruit or veg?).

Scientifically and mathematically, 2020 is indeed the last year of the outgoing decade, but in common speech, it is the first year of the coming decade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom