Happy Trafalgar Day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harrythedog

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GLC 250 Sport Premium+
An historical reminder of a great naval victory by a famous Geordie

I was brought up being taught about how Cuthbert Collingwood was a Geordie hero (my school friends thought I was going mad when I would rave on about how he was as much an influence as Nelson) yet he is sadly largely unknown outside of Newcastle.

Yes Lee, Nelson was killed very early into the battle and Collingwood took command and led the Navy to victory. At the time he was regarded as a national hero and is even buried next to Nelson.

I was brought up being taught about how Cuthbert Collingwood was a Geordie hero (my school friends thought I was going mad when I would rave on about how he was as much an influence as Nelson) yet he is sadly largely unknown outside of Newcastle.

Yes Lee, Nelson was killed very early into the battle and Collingwood took command and led the Navy to victory. At the time he was regarded as a national hero and is even buried next to Nelson.

This my 'learned something new today' fact. Interesting too; will probably do some follow up reading. Thanks, fellas.

So much for being a British hero, Trafalgar Day has not been mentioned so far by the news channels.

Maybe they don't want to upset the French and Spanish but I don't see why not as we've upset the Argentinian government recently and the Mexican government previous to that.

By the way, Happy Trafalgar Day.

Last edited:
I was in France yesterday and could not help myself but mention it. :devil:- Amazing how many French do not know about it! perhaps it is something that they would much rather forget!!!

Collingwood is far from forgotten. There is a large Naval Establishment named after him in Fareham.

Steve

I was in France yesterday and could not help myself but mention it. :devil:- Amazing how many French do not know about it! perhaps it is something that they would much rather forget!!!

Collingwood is far from forgotten. There is a large Naval Establishment named after him in Fareham.

Steve

In fairness to the French they do have a lot of defeats to remember

The French foreign legion only has defeats. As a French friend of mine remarked when the Legion's main day is celebrating being wiped out at Camarone you really have to wonder.

I can't understand how this bicentennial slipped by unremarked?

No famous Geordies in that story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom