Happy Yorkshire day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm guessing you're about to find out.......

I've tended to observe overt displays of nationalism(regionalism) are more defensive than positive. Somewhat along the lines of, if we tell everyone how great everything is maybe they'll miss the other stuff.

Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade but does anyone really give a toss?

Don't be a spoilsport we have a great day planned see our event schedule below

8am Wek up av a reight proper fry up, feed pigeons
9am Groom whippet and get ready fot show
10am Whippet breeders cup show, best of inbred cup (breeder not dog)
11am Put on best sooit and flap cap, head off t'parade
Midday Ceremonial burning of't Thatcher effigies (prize fir best un)
1pm Coil carrying competition (well rocks cos we dunt av any pits anymoor)
2pm Prize pudding cook off, some at we can do reet up eer, better than suffern jessies and poofter chefs
3pm Yorkshire legends lookey likey competition, Geoff Boycott, Freddie Truman, Robin Hood (yes he was a Yorkshireman)
4pm Communal recital of Yorkshireman's prayer (Google is your friend)
5pm Moor burning of't Thatcher effigies (looad's r entrys this year)

7pm Darn to dog track fo't Whippet grand national and pie nd peis in't basket (a reight gud neet, dunt miss it)

10pm Moor burning of't thatcher effigies and fireworks rounded off by top blooaks from steel city http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbLhjuUSXNc

So rain on our parade you will not.

Last edited:
For those that don't know the Yorkshireman's prayer;

"See all, hear all, say now't ... Eat all, sup all, pay now't ... And if ever tha does owt for now't, allus do it for thisen."

I used to work on Blackpool Pleasure Beach in the early eighties, and the local traders said you could always spot a Yorkshireman on their holidays. They'd come for two weeks with a new shirt and a new five pound note, and wouldn't have changed either by the time they got home!!!

I used to work on Blackpool Pleasure Beach in the early eighties, and the local traders said you could always spot a Yorkshireman on their holidays. They'd come for two weeks with a new shirt and a new five pound note, and wouldn't have changed either by the time they got home!!!

That's reet me owd c*ck, goo on t'oliday fir t'week with cleean shirt and a fiver and change nyther, tha can't beat it tha noz :thumb:

(Stupid swear word filter over sensitive or what)

Last edited:

Yes me. I think its great that counties should have their "days" Leads to banter and rivalry. In the best possible taste of course.

Edit.

Waiting for my grief to come on 27 November.

Lancashire Day
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lancashire Day is held on 27 November. It commemorates the day in 1295 when Lancashire sent its first representatives to Parliament by King Edward I of England to attend what later became known as The Model Parliament.
Curated by the Friends of Real Lancashire, it was first observed in 1996 with the loyal toast to "The Queen, Duke of Lancaster", and is open to celebration from everywhere within the county palatine.

Last edited:
What festive meal is the norm for Yorkshire Day then?
Do you "eat , drink and be merry"?

Last edited:
Just like TJ, I do too so stop being such a miserable get! :D Banter is fun and the rivalry between Yorkshire and Lancashire is packed full of more history than most! I'm a Staffordshire lad myself but I live in the South Lakes (which used to be Lancashire and is still considered such by most residents) and I'm married to a Lancashire lass so whilst I'm still an 'off-comer' I've been here for 27 years and with any any luck at least I'll be a "he were awreet 'im" once I'm dead! I even have some Yorkshire folk as friends but I don't usually mention that in good company! :D

Yorkshire born Yorkshire bred....

.....Strong in the arm, thick in the effin' head.

At least that's how my Northern mate used to say it. :p

(I managed to escape Yorkshire last night before the festivities/effigy burning started).

Ha...hap......cr....hap...happy Yo.....yoyorkshi......Yorkshire day. I of course speak in jest, anything North of Manchester gets my vote. Have a gudun.

What festive meal is the norm for Yorkshire Day then?

Cinnamon Club staff curry ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom