Harassment And Social Media - Can You Guess?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok, as a law abiding citizen, you might need to be sat down for this...

She told Dave (after she'd checked with her Sergeant) that because the messages had been blocked, they were no longer admissable - Dave shouldn't have been able to see them and therefore couldn't have been harassed.

Dave showed her the messages again, on the phone - there they were in full technicolour, but was told that he'd only read them because he'd chosen to look into the blocked messages folder - from the Police's view, they didn't exist as he'd blocked the number.

No further action.

Classic :D

Got to love a technicality.

Unbelievable isn't it. And the pollce wonder why people take the law into their own hands.

I would have thought it was up to the CPS as to whether there was any case to answer, not some fat desk sergeant who has delusions of being a judge.

Ok, as a law abiding citizen, you might need to be sat down for this...

She told Dave (after she'd checked with her Sergeant) that because the messages had been blocked, they were no longer admissable - Dave shouldn't have been able to see them and therefore couldn't have been harassed.

Dave showed her the messages again, on the phone - there they were in full technicolour, but was told that he'd only read them because he'd chosen to look into the blocked messages folder - from the Police's view, they didn't exist as he'd blocked the number.

No further action.

This will fall under Police rule: 22.3 paragraph 15: Things that may be difficult to deal with. Actions to be taken: If it looks like to much bother, then don't bother. File in the difficult to do drawer. If the complainant objects. Find some trivia that you can charge him/her with: Is their car parked on a double yellow? Are the they wearing offensive socks?

I take it, 'Dave' has now unblocked the offender's number to gather usable evidence?

It really is a crazy world we all live in.

I take it, 'Dave' has now unblocked the offender's number to gather usable evidence?

It seems that once blocked, he's in the wrong by unblocking it and has been advised that they aren't considering any further harassment complaints, because Dave should have left it blocked, ergo not harassed.

He's read that as a sort of bringing it upon himself :eek:.

What a system.

In your first post, you said that the officer said to block the messages!

Dave has a Samsung S6 - if you've got one, you'll be able to find the blocked messages folder in "Messages_Settings".

The Police lady said she wasn't aware that some phones did this - believing that typically a blocked number meant the phone wouldn't receive the messages, so the account holder couldn't be harassed.

She seemed a bit wrong footed by the Samsung approach, but didn't waiver.

Dave has a Samsung S6 - if you've got one, you'll be able to find the blocked messages folder in "Messages_Settings".

The Police lady said she wasn't aware that some phones did this - believing that typically a blocked number meant the phone wouldn't receive the messages, so the account holder couldn't be harassed.

Me thinks that she is making it up as she goes along. Evidence is evidence (so the saying goes). You cannot un-see what you have seen, Samsung or not.

If "Dave" wants to rid of the messages in the future, just delete that folder John.

In your first post, you said that the officer said to block the messages!

Indeed Sarah - were it not for the blocked messages folder Dave would have been none the wiser because he wouldn't have been aware he was being harassed - it seems that blocking is the Police's first line of defence recommended with all types of social media harassment - you can't be harassed by what you can't see, however, on Dave's phone you also can't unsee what you've seen and if it exists, it exists - unless you're a Police officer it seems.

Last edited:
If "Dave" wants to rid of the messages in the future, just delete that folder John.

He's not going to do that Rog - he feels he might need to bring it into play later on if things continue (and he gets a sensible copper to talk to).

I see the need for the old 600 psi punch to be brought out of retirement.

I didn't burgle that house officer because you had your back turned at the time so did not see me do it.

I think in a court of law the officer would be taken to task here. Is she saying that if the Police were looking at a terrorist phone they would ignore the blocked folder!!

Okay lads keep it secret shall we. Use our blocked folders they can't nick us for this.

Won't help yet, but when Samsung sort out testing their crappy bloatware on Android and update the phone to 7.1 blocking numbers also blocks texts fully as well.

As I say, won't happen for a while though with that phone.

Can he not just go to a different cop station now the number is unblocked and show them the messages and kick off the process. Are the plod systems smart enough to pick that up?

Won't help yet, but when Samsung sort out testing their crappy bloatware on Android and update the phone to 7.1 blocking numbers also blocks texts fully as well.

As I say, won't happen for a while though with that phone.

Can he not just go to a different cop station now the number is unblocked and show them the messages and kick off the process. Are the plod systems smart enough to pick that up?

He's not done yet, that's for sure...

Would I be right to guess there is a related thread in the PC & IT forum?

That decision from the police is weak and I think another set of police would treat it differently and seriously. Online or electronic harassment is being taken more and more seriously, based on press reports.
Because of the problems, this is worth getting legal advice.
The perpetrator has harassed already before the police's blocking advice. The complaint is about a crime already committed. It is not about another crime yet to be committed. If they give a s#*t they'd have put the block on themselves at the telephony provider and gathered the evidence, saving the victim further anguish and worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom