Harassment And Social Media - Can You Guess?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
My mate "Dave" received some unpleasant messages via whatapp and text, all from one person, to the point where he asked for a home visit from the Police to discuss his options.

The officer looked at said offending messages and advised Dave that he could go down the route of an harassment complaint, due to the nature of the messages.

In the first instance, Dave wasn't too keen on this, so the officer told Dave to block both whatsapp and text messages from said person - therefore enjoying no further visibility of incoming harassment.

All good regarding whatsapp, however, Dave's particular phone sends blocked text messages to an folder called "Blocked Messages", where they can be viewed - in other words, they still arrive at the phone.

Naturally, Dave would dip in and out of the blocked messages folder (as you would) and would see an increasing number of unpleasant messages.

Eventually, faced with the content of the blocked folder, Dave decided he was ready to go down the harassment route and went to make a formal complaint at the Police station.

The interviewing officer (a different person to the home visit officer) read all the texts in Dave's blocked messages folder, noted that they were very personal, very unpleasant and that some had been sent in the middle of the night, 3am, 4am etc. designed to deliberately wake up Dave and his good lady - thereby causing alarm and distress - the generally recognised harassment definition.

So, what do the panel think the Police decided to do about the formal complaint and what was their justification?

Last edited:
Turn the phone off at night and/or change you number/account

S.
F.
A.

They are too busy investigating accusations of sexual misconduct 40+ years ago?

Did they hop in a Panda, go round the perpetrator's house and dish out a good truncheoning?

Unlikely, I know, but we live in hope..

Cheers,

Gaz

I'm hoping they didn't turn down Dave's case through 'lack of evidence'. :doh:

I'd hope they served an anti-harrassment order.

I can't remember what it was called, but one of these was served on my Wife's ex partner some years ago after he assaulted her. She had a stream of text messages etc.

I seem to recall it was a formal notice forbidding him to communicate with her - and breaching it would be quite serious. Certainly worked. Although it meant I became the go between - not so fun.

Perhaps said it was a civil matter and did SFA.

I'd hope they served an anti-harrassment order.

I can't remember what it was called, but one of these was served on my Wife's ex partner some years ago after he assaulted her. She had a stream of text messages etc.

I seem to recall it was a formal notice forbidding him to communicate with her - and breaching it would be quite serious. Certainly worked. Although it meant I became the go between - not so fun.

injunction ?

Did they say that Dave could go around to the nobber's house and give him a good kicking and that they would turn a blind eye or was that an episode of The Sweeney that I saw?

Did they say that Dave could go around to the nobber's house and give him a good kicking and that they would turn a blind eye or was that an episode of The Sweeney that I saw?

Or Minder prehaps?

Had words with the perpetrator up to and including being nicked?

If you don't soon tell us, I'm going to hold my breath until I turn blue and faint, and it will be your fault!

I'm guessing here that one said "you get the coffee's" the other said "you get the doughnuts".

They turned the tables and locked "Dave" up for the night instead.

Ok, as a law abiding citizen, you might need to be sat down for this...

She told Dave (after she'd checked with her Sergeant) that because the messages had been blocked, they were no longer admissable - Dave shouldn't have been able to see them and therefore couldn't have been harassed.

Dave showed her the messages again, on the phone - there they were in full technicolour, but was told that he'd only read them because he'd chosen to look into the blocked messages folder - from the Police's view, they didn't exist as he'd blocked the number.

No further action.

They told Dave to stop harassing his case officer :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom