Hard drive failing - best way to get an exact copy made please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

splang

MB Enthusiast
Car
W212 E250 Avantgarde
As above,

I can still use it and i have bought and installed a new hard drive.
Anyone recommend a (free?) programme to copy the exact contents of my old HD to my new one?

Thanks
Steve

If you have a failing disk drive, cloning this disk to a new one will also clone all the bad sectors and corrupt data.

My advice is not to clone dodgy disks or you will just be importing the problems onto the new hardware.

If the HD is failing physically be careful about pushing it when you copy it. If possible on the software, select to do it at a slower speed. I have 3 dead HD's here which might have lasted longer if I hadn't gone crazy trying to rescue stuff from them while they were dying :/

As above,

I can still use it and i have bought and installed a new hard drive.
Anyone recommend a (free?) programme to copy the exact contents of my old HD to my new one?

Thanks
Steve

Use Acronis to clone an exact copy of your drive (if it will let you with bad sectors).

The beauty of the latest Acronis is that you can access the image as you would an external drive.

This means you can do a fresh reinstall of windows and then access your backup to copy across important files and settings without doing a complete clone install.

If you need info or to 'borrow' my acronis pls let me know.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom