Hard shoulder driving cuts crashes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
Aped from Yahoo News.

Allowing hard-shoulder running (HSR), where drivers can use the hard shoulder of motorways during peak times, has cut accident rates and reduced journey times, Government figures show.

The statistics were produced as Roads Minister Mike Penning officially opened the latest HSR scheme - on a 6.7-mile stretch of the M6 in the West Midlands.

HSR on this stretch is also being combined with a UK first which will see slip roads at the M6's junction 10 near Birmingham being converted into full-time running lanes in both directions to ease congestion.
Mr Penning said that accidents had more than halved since HSR was introduced on 10.5 miles of the M42 (from junction 3A to junction 7), to the east of Birmingham in 2006.

Journey times have also improved between the M40 junction 16, near Lapworth and M6 junction 5, near Birmingham, since the introduction of two sections of HSR.

The M42 latest statistics follow earlier figures which showed that over a 12-month period journey time reliability improved by 22% on the route and emissions were reduced by up to 10% due to traffic flowing more smoothly.

Mr Penning said: "The Government is committed to delivering transport projects which improve journeys and help economic growth so I am pleased to open England's newest HSR scheme.

"This will provide much needed additional capacity - easing congestion and making journey times more reliable for road users, including hauliers and commuters - on this vital national transport spine."

He went on: "I am also pleased to announce that research being published today confirms this system for increasing capacity significantly reduces accidents and reduces journey times.

"These benefits show why the Government has committed to start work on 11 other managed motorways schemes by 2015."

I've not used them but I'd like to think they sweep them in some way first. They are usually littered with loose stones perfect for flicking into windscreens.

Also , what happens when someone breaks down with nowhere to stop out of the way of other traffic ?

I drove along there very recently, and will do so today. There are very regular refuges.

Glad to hear that increasing capacity combined with speed management reduces accidents and increases efficient running, surprise, surprise.

Ah, but will you use the "hard shoulder" Charles or would habit and comfort zone feelings encourage you to stick with "normal" lanes?

Nick Froome will be driving (picking up my little BM gem) but the inner lane is probably best left to those using the many junctions.

I'm quite happy pottering in the inner lane so if extended I can't see a problem.

The M42 scheme works well, although I'm not so fond of the variable speed limit. It seemed to be stuck on 60 yesterday despite relatively quiet traffic.

I live right by the M42 and use it daily.

The rush hour journey times have definitely improved and I can only recall a couple of occasions where a broken down vehicle has not been able to make it to the refuges and has stopped on the "hard shoulder".

The gantry signs were quickly warning of the obstruction with a red "X" and drivers moved over - and got let in.

The variable limits are sometimes controlled by people clearly looking at the M25 as very often on the weekend it's a 50 limit and the road is very, very quiet in comparison the the week-days when they still post a 50 mph.

Very often, the hard shoulder is moving faster (just at / slightly above the limit though) then lane 1 (below the posted limit) so we have a bit of the American system where folk seem to join the lane that's moving at the speed you want travel at.

There's sometimes a lot of last minute lane changing at the junctions, despite a mile or so of signs warning the Audi drivers that the hard shoulder from here on is only for traffic leaving at the next junction. Seen a few lane-oners get cut up there.

One problem is with the stupid (as usual) who think they can use the hard shoulder all the time and don't notice the red "X" on the gantry.

On the whole - it's good.

The M42 scheme works well, although I'm not so fond of the variable speed limit. It seemed to be stuck on 60 yesterday despite relatively quiet traffic.

Like all the ovehead motorway signs. They are operated by morons. They switch them on the go for a sleep. Little wonder most drivers ignore them. How many times have you all seen Warnings for miles then Nothing. Queues Ahead Nothing. Waste of good electricity. But I suppose it employs someone with little brain power

I've not used them but I'd like to think they sweep them in some way first. They are usually littered with loose stones perfect for flicking into windscreens.

The regular use keeps them as clean as the rest of the carriageway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom