Hard starting w211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ronny85

Car
W211 e270 cdi
Hello all
My e270 cdi from 2003 is very hard to start, when it's cold.
I can get it started after 4th attemp while pushing the gas pedal to max.
And when it's starts, there is a white cloud(smoke behind my car)
What can it be? It's only in winter period. If I park my car in my garage, there is no problem
I live in Denmark and its -7

This inline 5 engine starts fine without one or two glow plugs... injector(s) leak too much back to tank line, or worn hp-pump. Do search on a forum (or google), you'll find lot of discussion how to measure injector leak DIY...

Edited, realized this was W211 not W203 ;) E-class engine does not suffer bad o-rings

Hi and thx for fast reply.
Do you know, if there is a issue with my modul
Also
Because my mec changed the modul and glowplug a last year
But he might installed wrong one?

Thx. My mec told me the same
So glowplug or maybe glowplug relay(can maybe solder a 30 amp fuse, if it's damaged)

A frnd told me. It might be the temp sensor
And my elm Ohd scanner, shows no fault

If glow plug relay then glow plug light should be on. The white smoke could be due to excess fuel as you are pumping the accelerator. Has your mechanic had any diagnostic equipment on the vehicle?

No not yet. I will let you know
There was a glowplug light in summers. It was after 1 min I started my car
But it newer came back again

If glow plug relay then glow plug light should be on. The white smoke could be due to excess fuel as you are pumping the accelerator. Has your mechanic had any diagnostic equipment on the vehicle?
The white smoke is diesel vapour which will be present until the cylinder fires so with an inoperable glow plug some vapour will come through the exhaust on start-up. The more inoperable glow plugs there are, the greater the cloud of vapour will be and of course the engine will need to be cranked for longer.

If the glow plug relay has blown it may not bring a light up on the dash. The symptoms sound the same as mine when the relay went, slow starting and white smoke on start up I suspect it's the relay again.

If the glow plug relay has blown it may not bring a light up on the dash. The symptoms sound the same as mine when the relay went, slow starting and white smoke on start up I suspect it's the relay again.

I always assumed the GP light would come on. If ^^this is true, then get some decent diagnostics on it

Bought one elm obd from eBay. It shows no error.
Glows Light is coming up. And go out again. Then I start my car.
In summers the glowplug light came in dashboard after start, and one mins after. It was off

In that case, there should not be an issue with the glow plug or relay

I always assumed the GP light would come on. If ^^this is true, then get some decent diagnostics on it

I think if it has a faulty glow plug as well it would show a light on the dash a short while after starting. I can confirm that on my car only the relay blew and the glow plugs were fine so I did not get any dash warning light.

However I did get a fault code on the OBD reader stating the relay was open circuit.

maybe Olly or one of the indies could confirm this,but I suggest maybe you need to have it on Star to diagnose properly.

Guys is there any different between one Bluetooth obd tester and star tester?
My friend came with one Bluetooth tester, and no fault was found on the glowplug?

Got one code in my tester
P2133 can someone plz tell me more(some sites says glowplug)

And shall i change only or all 5 and solder a new fuse inside the relay?
Are they sitting in serial or parallel connection?
Can one bad glowplug, effect all other plugs?

Anyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom