Hard wiring dash cam on an SLK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

liamt

Car
2022, AMG A35 Premium Plus, Patagonia Red
Hello,

So my Uncle is up north for Christmas with his 2014 SLK 250 CDI and has brought with him a new dash cam and hard wire kit. We've routed the cable to the rear fuse box rather than the front as running the cable across the top of the windscreen was interfering with the radio signal. We've got the fuse layout for the rear fuse box but the trouble we're having is finding a fuse on the switch side that isn't constantly live. We've not touched the critical fuses (airbags, ecu etc) for obvious reasons but all other fuses in the rear fuse box appear to be a constant live? I was wondering if someone has done this on an SLK and could advise on what fuse to use in the rear if it is possible? If not we'll have to rethink and wire it to the front.

Cheers

Liam

Hi there I’ve had a dash cam hard wired in my slk, don’t know which fuse box they used as I paid somebody to do it, it does run around the front screen, but what I have found out is that if you use a phone charger that plugs into the power socket and has a usb connection dab radio signal is useless. It’s a BlackVue 900S

Attachments

• F5BB182B-41A6-4541-8F1D-961A8B6CCE02.jpeg
    F5BB182B-41A6-4541-8F1D-961A8B6CCE02.jpeg
    632.8 KB · Views: 13
  • B4AFE3E3-4301-43E0-B684-C471030123F5.jpeg
    B4AFE3E3-4301-43E0-B684-C471030123F5.jpeg
    558.5 KB · Views: 12
Hi there I’ve had a dash cam hard wired in my slk, don’t know which fuse box they used as I paid somebody to do it, it does run around the front screen, but what I have found out is that if you use a phone charger that plugs into the power socket and has a usb connection dab radio signal is useless. It’s a BlackVue 900S

Thanks for the response, I suspect it is the front. He did have the standard charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter running around the window and like you found it interfered with the signal. That was the main reason we've routed it to the rear fuse box. Good to know it can be routed around the windscreen to the front without interference if we need to.

It’s only what I’ve found but if the male plug is complete it works ok, if the male plug has a usb slot in the end reception is rubbish.

Cheap USB power-supplies destroy DAB signal. So do some cheap dashcams.

Fuse 44 and 45 are spare circuit 15R fuses in the rear fusebox. 54, 55, 56 are circuit 15 - use any of those !

Richard

I wired a next base front and rear camera via piggy back into my dab radio fuse on vw Tiguan and it screwed up my reception on most frequencies on and off , I then switched to cigarette fuse and radio back to normal.

I am having issues finding the dash wiring diagrams for both trucks. I have searched and found a couple but it seems the links are not working on any I find.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Kenneth.

Cheap USB power-supplies destroy DAB signal. So do some cheap dashcams.

Fuse 44 and 45 are spare circuit 15R fuses in the rear fusebox. 54, 55, 56 are circuit 15 - use any of those !

Richard

Thanks Richard, I'm assuming those fuses are not constantly live? We trying to find one on the ignition switch side so as to not drain the battery. We do have a current tester kicking around in a toolbox somewhere which would have made this easier but can't seem to find it, typical!

This is where I wired my dash to in a 203 which should be similar to yours.

42761336181_fe2e80478d_z.jpg

Here it’s another way to hardwire if you only need it to record when your driving. Don’t even need hardwire kit!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom