Hardest car iv ever tried to sell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSTurbo50

Car
W212 E250 CDi AMG Sport
My car below is currently up for sale:

Mercedes-Benz CLK 3.0 CLK320 CDI Sport 7G-Tronic 2dr

It really is the most difficult car iv ever tried to sell. I'm only getting dreamers offering me £4K...even Evans Halshaw offered £4750.

Looking on the Trader, taking mileage and year mine is by far the cheapest out there. I think it's worth £5300 all day long but I guess it's what people are prepared to pay.

Do people think it's priced realistically?? I really believe the CLK Sport is a forgotten car. For a 2007 BMW 330d M Sport, you're looking at 8k minimum with sensible miles.

It was for me the hardest car i have ever had to sell on. 41 days on AT and a buyer came along. £5k no haggling for a 06 CLK 280 Sport. Not a special car. Good condition and history but pretty basic spec, NO MB nav, heated seats pass memory... wheels needed a refurbish, i was close to doing them but took a chance.

Im taking my time on my next purchase although the budget now is around 25 - 30k... its a weekend car so even more confused as to what to go for.

Two musts. AMG engine. Good spec. History and condition goes without saying. It won't be a CLK63!

Its a slow market as your car looks great and a lovely colour combo. A buyer will come along I had resided myselt to keeping the CLK another 6 months until the buyer came along.

£5,795.00 it has a decent spec and imo your selling to cheap. But i guess the market decides .it only takes one.

Last edited:
Thanks buddy...part of me thinks maybe I should be after more than advertised price as I can honestly say it's mint. Maybe people don't want a diesel coupe???

£25k-£30k is a lovely figure to play with. There are a couple of CLK63's up for around £20k...no thanks lol.

I just need to be patient I guess and stick to my guns and not let it go too cheaply.

It depends on for how long you are prepared to wait for the right buyer. It took me a month to sell my Volvo 3.2 and it was sold when I had lowered the price. When you add all expenses like ved, insurance, ad etc. it is maybe wiser to give it for less and shift it fast. Also I think I'll never again list a car on AT but only on eBay as classified ad. On AT for £50 I got only one call from some time waster while on ebay it was sold within a month with several reasonable enquiries prior to sale.
Unfortunately or sometimes fortunately, the market is full of good cars and unless you have a really desirable car for which you can ask top money everything else has to be cheapest possible.
Good luck.

It's a lovely looking car, but as you say, the market determines the actual value. Unfortunately the market rarely values our car more than we do. If you don't want to let it go for what potential buyers are prepared to pay, then keep hold and enjoy it.

Thanks buddy...part of me thinks maybe I should be after more than advertised price as I can honestly say it's mint. Maybe people don't want a diesel coupe???

£25k-£30k is a lovely figure to play with. There are a couple of CLK63's up for around £20k...no thanks lol.

I just need to be patient I guess and stick to my guns and not let it go too cheaply.

Patience for sure. The car looks great looking at some of the junk on AT! I had dropped mine to £4500 a week before selling... i put it back up to £5000 2 days before the buyer called.

I haven't sold a car on ebay. Fees maybe. Then again £58.95 for 42 days on AT. I had 4 calls. 1 looker... then a buyer with cash.

I wouldn't let yours go for £5795 never mind £5300 plus the CLK i sold had the crazy road tax £535.

Car looks lovely mate, I`d hold out for the price you want if can afford to.

Thanks lads appreciate all the comments. I'll hold out for £5750 and if I don't get it I'll just keep it...

Evans Halshaw offered £4750.

I think it's worth £5300

Take the £4750, selling to the trade is the best type of sale.

It's not that far away from £5300 and you don't have to deal with tyre kickers, loons and midnight callers.

The value of 10 year old diesel cars is dropping by the day with all this talk of diesel scrappage and bans...

Take the £4750, selling to the trade is the best type of sale.

It's not that far away from £5300 and you don't have to deal with tyre kickers, loons and midnight callers.

The value of 10 year old diesel cars is dropping by the day with all this talk of diesel scrappage and bans...

This^

Great car, agreed, but....

It's a great car, agreed, but it will never have the Chav / Youf appeal of a 330d M Sport. The CLK is a posh motor, and looks expensive to run for someone in the market for a £5k car. The challenge is finding someone who wants a 10 year old used car.

My suggestion: get it sold in May, by whatever means, before social June rolls up and Summer Holidays come along. Once summer is here, it's only going to lose more money as buyers go away and trade ins wash around the market.

Have you advertised it in the classifieds here on this forum ?

Costs nothing and a good target audience .

Most people use ebay now. Auto trader is for high end high price cars.
I always think auto trader is for people who want to much for their cars and aren't in touch with today's way of selling, it's like an old person's show room.

Put it on ebay on a classified or a reserve auction and you'll get much more interest.

In my opinion the car looks much more dated than a similar year bmw too.

I think in general all the CLK's are over priced, these cars don't sell quickly either and the CLK's are quite old. My brother and I have been watching the market for weeks before we pulled the trigger on his 53 plate CLK320.

I have seen too many CLK's stay on AT for weeks and most sellers end up dropping between £500-£1k on their original price.

I would just take the £4,750 offer and leg it, let them them enjoy selling it.

One of the problems you are facing is the fact the "face" of Merc has changed so dramatically in the past 10 years and cars 10 years old are beginning to look dated - we had it with my sons W211 - but its certainly the case with the CLK - whereas BMW's relative lack of development means its harder to tell differentiate the 10 year old BMWs from younger models - the 1 series is a good case in point and so the residuals of those seem to hold up quite well.

Lovely looking car - best of luck

I think your correct, people don't want a diesel coupe, and if I was interested you having owned it 9 months would put me off.

I think your correct, people don't want a diesel coupe, and if I was interested you having owned it 9 months would put me off.

I owned a 3.0 petrol for 5 months, didn't put my buyer off....

One of the problems you are facing is the fact the "face" of Merc has changed so dramatically in the past 10 years and cars 10 years old are beginning to look dated - we had it with my sons W211 - but its certainly the case with the CLK - whereas BMW's relative lack of development means its harder to tell differentiate the 10 year old BMWs from younger models - the 1 series is a good case in point and so the residuals of those seem to hold up quite well.

Ironically, my friend has just bought a CLK55 which gets a lot of positive comments from his wife's friends and colleagues. - They aren't interested in his M3 because it's just another BMW to them.

My car below is currently up for sale:

Mercedes-Benz CLK 3.0 CLK320 CDI Sport 7G-Tronic 2dr

It really is the most difficult car iv ever tried to sell. I'm only getting dreamers offering me £4K...even Evans Halshaw offered £4750.

Looking on the Trader, taking mileage and year mine is by far the cheapest out there. I think it's worth £5300 all day long but I guess it's what people are prepared to pay.

Do people think it's priced realistically?? I really believe the CLK Sport is a forgotten car. For a 2007 BMW 330d M Sport, you're looking at 8k minimum with sensible miles.

IMO your advert has way too much information. You say it's had discs and pads which cost over £500, this immediately tells prospective buyers that it's an expensive car to maintain, whereas a simple, new discs and pads will suffice.

Lines like, they're are no funny knocking noises, the gearbox is not jerky, owned for 9 months, telling them why you're selling etc, is all irrelevant information.

You say it's in Cheshire, tell them whereabouts as Cheshire is a big county.

It's all about getting them in the car for a test drive without being dishonest, adding all sorts can tell people you want rid sharpish.

I hope that helps, It will serve someone well. GLWTS

^^^ totally agree with above. 9 months ownership doesn't instil confidence. If it's so good, why do you sell? (And really, why?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom