hardwire multiple 12v & USB sockets from Cigarette socket supply

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Haven't a clue!

Car
W204 C220 CDI (AMG body kit), plus BMW 320ci (E93), previously various company lease
Hi,
On my post-facelift W204 (12/12) I want need multiple sockets to feed:
1- Dash Cam - Cig connector
2- Sat Navto - Cig connector
3- Phone Charger - USB
4- DAB Blue tooth Transmitter - USB
5- Spare USB
(appreciate need to ensure draw/loading is sensible)

Looking for clean and elegant solution rather than open console cover and plugging into cig lighter with masses of leads trailing around. So thinking of disconnecting or splicing into cig lighter supply, then routing to an (inline fused) multi socket in/boxed under glove compartment.

Thought I'd previously seen similar approach described but just can't find on my current searches. Anyone able to point me to it or offer initial advice or pointers to how to proceed/remove console panels?
Cheers, Tony

Evening, i also found this a huge let down for my car having one 12v feed and thats it, i will see what i can do/fathem also

On my W203, I was able to tap directly into the fusebox behind the dash and run a cable directly to my Samsung mobile phone cradle/charger, leaving the cigarette lighter socket free and eliminating cables clatter in the cabin. I am assuming that a similar solution can be found for the W204 for feeding the dash-cam etc.

Plumbed one of these in on the Jeep.
Tapped of the glovebox light. The thick cable is off to the dash cam.

View attachment 58396

Around a fiver from ebay.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Last edited:
Plumbed one of these in on the Jeep.
Tapped of the glovebox light. The thick cable is off to the dash cam.

View attachment 58396

Around a fiver from ebay.

Pls don't tap off the glovebox light on a modern Mercedes, its not fed straight from the fusebox or a relay.

If you want switched power, get it from the cigarette lighter with a fuse to protect the cable you are installing as near to the cigarette lighter end as possible.
If you want permanent power, there is often a fusebox at the end of the dashboard.

Richard

I can't stand wires hanging around my dash, or anywhere in my car, so instead of creating more sockets, I hard-wired all the gadgets (two dashcams; sat nav; GPS tracker; bluetooth AUX), so that both factory power sockets are free most of the time, with vacuuming or inflating tyres being obvious exceptions.

i think that one socket will supply max 2.1A and the other max 1A
(malcolm will be along soon to explain I hope)

your phone will only draw what it needs to charge so dont worry

Thanks for responses. Will look at taking power from fuse box before splicing into cig lighter, but seek to keep that live in case of emergency need(compressor etc). When (evwntually) done, will dwtail/post piccies. Cheers, Tony

You're right Druk. The device will only draw what it needs/can. The current rating on the sockets is the maximum they can deliver.

Two 2.1 amp supplies would be better, but it's got one regular 1amp supply, fine for dash cams, etc and a super duper 2.1 amp supply to charge your phone faster.

I did this today, to fit dash cam and speed camera detector.

taped into back of cigerate lighter/12v socket in the ashtray.
Pink is positive, brown is earth on the plug into the socket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgcqi0AI7fg

Ran wire down the centre console and your going towards the floor then lift back the carpet peice on the drivers side of the console, run wire along the carpet towards the front.

Remove the panel under the steering wheel 3 torque screws and secure a 12v socket to the panel using cable tie.

Run dash cam wire down the A pillar across the head lining across the mirror housing so camera sits on passenger side of the mirror. On drivers side of mirror it blocks the light sensor on back of rear view mirror, depending on where you position your cam.

Add spilter, 2 way 3 way socket as you need.

box everything back up, no untidy wires and a clean safe install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom