Hardwiring a Dashcam to 2019 GLC Coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlueAstra

Car
GLB 200 AMG Line Premium Plus
Christmas brought a Nextbase 512GW dashcam which I'm currently powering from the cig. socket. I've got the Nextbase hardwire kit, and the obvious run is to the fuse box in the passenger side footwell. However, when I put a meter on any fuse or spare socket, they all seem to be on all the time, even with the ignition off. Can anyone tell me if any fuse position in this box is switched? Is the car keeping the fuses live for a period of time? Is there another fuse box I should use?

Attachments

• fuse box.jpg
    fuse box.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 23
I believe the cars keep the fuses live for 5 mins or so.

I would have thought the best candidate was the cigarette lighter fuse.

I have this document which shows the passenger fuse box. I'm not sure where the other ones are. The cig socket is not in the passenger box.
I would prefer a switched socket as I don't want to take a chance with the battery. I would probably use one of the 'spare' sockets if switched.

Attachments

• IMG_3340.jpg
    IMG_3340.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3341.jpg
    IMG_3341.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 38
This is how I avoid battery drain with it hardwired to permanent live .

Screenshot_2018-01-04-18-54-30.png

How do you plan to record in bumper car Supermarket car parks ?
I turned that option off on my dash cam purely because it protects every file it makes through impact and it records all "impacts" including opening doors, getting into and out of the car etc and before long the mercury card is full of unwanted protected files. Obviously if you park in car parks regularly and want/need that function then fair enough.

Absolutely .

No hassle either to open up the app , pair via WiFi and reformat the sd card insitu thus clearing it down .

Absolutely .

No hassle either to open up the app , pair via WiFi and reformat the sd card insitu thus clearing it down .
True, but I bought a basic dash cam (didn't want my sorted recording) and have to format manually, problem is I forget, then the card gets full and as I can't see it (hidden behind mirror) I don't know it's not working. Easier to not have it on parking mode.

I wired mine into the fuse box on the offside end of the dashboard where you can find a switched spare fuse holder, I used a flat bayonet fitting pushed into the live side of the fuse holder.

I use an OBD port power lead, this has a switch that allows constant power or ignition only power.

True, but I bought a basic dash cam (didn't want my sorted recording) and have to format manually, problem is I forget, then the card gets full and as I can't see it (hidden behind mirror) I don't know it's not working. Easier to not have it on parking mode.

I've a visable status indicator light and a announcement voice so double cover there , plus the app shows a pie chart of the sd card memory use .

I wired mine into the fuse box on the offside end of the dashboard where you can find a switched spare fuse holder, I used a flat bayonet fitting pushed into the live side of the fuse holder.
The connection used is identifiable by the blue ring on the spade fitting.
GLC fuse box.jpg

The passenger side fuse box has a convenient earth stud, but as far as I can tell no switched fuses. Sod's law, the cig. socket fuse is in the boot fuse box, with no convenient earth stud, as far as I can see and a long cable run. No idea how you get the fuse box cover off the drivers side fuse box. Looks pretty solid to me. Looking at your picture you use a single spade connector. I have the Nextbase hardwire kit with fuse holders. How does that work?

To get the cover off get a trim tool and insert in the edge nearest the driver then push towards the door and it will come out.

With the fuse holders you either put a spade connector on the wire or use add a fuse adapters.

I only have the fuse holder that comes in the kit (that holds two fuses, the original and the dashcam 2A fuse). Do I just put the 2A fuse in it, nothing in the other slot, and put one 'prong' in the slot occupied by the blue spade in the above picture?

What you have is an add a fuse, you will need to put another fuse in the other slot of the same size then check to see which side of the original fuse slot is live.
That will be the side the add a fuse side without the cable coming out goes into.

Have a look at this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom