Harman Kardon question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zvrikos

Hi everybody!
As U can see from my signature, I have Harman Kardon audio installed over Comand APS system. I have noticed that when I am moving the sound back (using the fader), the sound is very very low as far as the sound level and the quality is concerned. No comparizon to the crystal sound I get when I am transfering the sound in frond. Is it normal for all HK systems or is it just my systems fault??

Thank U....

You'll probably get reduced volume and therefore a more pronounced bass profile as the drivers in the rear are mounted power down in the door as opposed to having higher level side and centre speakers as in the front.

I tend to leave mine slightly forward of centre - kids complain they can't her their DVDs or MP3 players otherwise...

To be honest the HK sound system is not all that in my opinion...

We had it in the BMW 6 Series cab and it was rubbish and standard system was better. There have been quite a few issues on HK system on the W203s as well.

Flash said:
To be honest the HK sound system is not all that in my opinion...

We had it in the BMW 6 Series cab and it was rubbish and standard system was better. There have been quite a few issues on HK system on the W203s as well.

Do U have any link concerning this "few issues on HK system"???
Please...
Also, I think that the systems provides a very very good sound.. very deep bass and excellent high tones.. I couldnt ask for more (and wouldnt pay more, of course... :) ) ...
Thank U for your help

Do you have component tweeters in the rear? I'm guessing you do in the front, which will make the sound sharper in the front than the rear.

The BOSE system in the C32 has compoent tweeters in the front, but coax in the doors (IIRC). Seems odd to me, but maybe the restrictions is not the cost of rear components, it's having somewhere to put them when most cars will leave the factory without them anyway.

That's my two-penneth...

zvrikos said:
Do U have any link concerning this "few issues on HK system"???
Please...
Also, I think that the systems provides a very very good sound.. very deep bass and excellent high tones.. I couldnt ask for more (and wouldnt pay more, of course... :) ) ...
Thank U for your help

Hi,

There were Tech Bulletins on it and I will try dig it out for you if I still can... One of the main problems with HK has been that it has cut out at random and alot of crackling coming from the speakers and some people did not notice any enhancement in comparison to the stock 7 speaker system.

Just out of interest have you ever heard the bass/speaker quality sound on the standrad 7 speaker W203 before? The bass is quite good/deep on that too.

Flash said:
Hi,

There were Tech Bulletins on it and I will try dig it out for you if I still can... One of the main problems with HK has been that it has cut out at random and alot of crackling coming from the speakers and some people did not notice any enhancement in comparison to the stock 7 speaker system.

Just out of interest have you ever heard the bass/speaker quality sound on the standrad 7 speaker W203 before? The bass is quite good/deep on that too.

Staggered at that remark Flash !

Have you been in an E Class and turned the sound setting for the HK off ? It makes a huge difference.

IMHO - I thought the BOSE system previous to the HK system was a lot better.

saorbust said:
Staggered at that remark Flash !

Have you been in an E Class and turned the sound setting for the HK off ? It makes a huge difference.

IMHO - I thought the BOSE system previous to the HK system was a lot better.

Hi Soarbust - I have not even heard the HK system in the W203 or W211 but feedback that I have read/heard from the W203 owners was that people were having problems with the HK on the W203 when the Face Lift was launched and some said that they thought that the stock system was better sound quality wise. However, on the 6 Series I was not impressed with the upgraded sound system and the stock sound system on the demo car in comparison to the car that we had bought sounded better on the BMW.

I will try and find more info on the W203 Tech Bulletin in relation to HK.

stock system in the post 2005 facelift w203 sounds spectacular!!

The one in my 2003 model was a little mediocre , but whatever they did in 2005 when the most system was introduced with the audio 20 instead of the audio 10 made a huge difference.

Hi there
HAve you found anyhthing on HK AGW upgrades ?? I have an E200 facelift and want to upgrade the AGW with an HK AGW. Any links or contacts in Sunny Athens ???
Best Regards from sunny Alexandras avenue !!!!
George

I have HK in mine..Been a good system although not impressed with the sound cushioning..better if it was fitted to body frame rather than door..W203 fronts vibrate on mine on heavy bass bec of the boot release button that is cheapo fixings..beyond that anoyance it is an ok but not fantastic system..would like to upgrade the systems to a better system while maintaining the existing wiring..to save dissassembling the whole car..only when the speakers blow probably..
My parents have a E30 BMW 1984 which has original JBL speakers fitted to the rear top..car is in malaysia where they live..car is 24yrs old..speakers are as good today as it was then with all the heat down there..bullet proof build quality..local audio guys were very impressed..no distortion..

what is a good replacement speaker for the HK logic 7 ones..

Have HK in B class- MUCH better than standard audio in C-coupe & no problems front to rear

However, on the 6 Series I was not impressed with the upgraded sound system and the stock sound system on the demo car in comparison to the car that we had bought sounded better on the BMW.

Now I am shocked at this!

The L7 system in the BMW is the best stock system I have heard.

The way BMW have designed the system with decent 28hz subs under each front seat that also uses the door sills as enclosure is pure genius.
Team Pioneer have been using a 3 series as their demo car.

The L7 system goes loud, it is warm, has loads of detail and the bass goes low as well.
A couple of people I know who have spent serious money on systems, and I am talking £5-10k systems have been seriously impressed with it.

Did you have the the EQ in the iDrive and all the Cinema and Music modes to choose from?? I know a few people who ordered L7 ended up with only the hi-fi system by mistake on 2005 models. And that system is crap!

We had L7 in the 3 series and in my 5 series I had custom system consisting of Alpine front end, Genesis amps, Rainbow Profi speakers and an awesome Aliante subwoofer (very musical) and hated to admit the L7 system in my wifes 3 series had the edge, or was certainly no worse! :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom