harmless fun or google cashing in on suffering?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i am sorry gents i do myself enjoy a game of Call of duty! But have never felt the desire or need to go out and actually do it.
Like you say weak minded people but would that not be the same with films and so on?
not everyone who indulges in some destructive gaming/film is a closet killer who enjoys the misfortune of others.

Tony.

No, you're right. It's about "games" that glorify wanton destruction, inflicting severe pain, mass killing - bloodlust. It's about making all those things attractive for the weak-minded so that they crave more. It's about games that are of no interest to those without any inbuilt desire to maim or randomly kill fellow human beings, but worry about the high numbers of people, children and so-called adults, who do enjoy such things. They say it's only fantasy, but who fantasises about things they don't yearn for?

While I think games which are glorifying any current conflict are in bad taste I don't think war games in general are a bad thing, remember it's only computer graphics been damaged, these games aren't as simple as you may think and need a large amount of understanding, tactics, teamwork and skill to win, very few players do it for the destruction (they will last about 5 seconds in the game if that's all they're after).

They say it's only fantasy, but who fantasises about things they don't yearn for?

I think that's the issue, people don't yearn for it, it's just a game, I'm sure my nephew who plays COD and BF doesn't really want to be shot at by people, but online he can be that person who can be killed and respawn without any actual harm.

Last edited:
Personally with everything going on in the real situation at the moment I think it's distasteful and morally wrong , and making millions from the suffering to !!! Maybe gives the profits to the Red Cross agencies to help out what's happening may be a idea !!!!

I find Israel's unrestrained use of overwhelmingly superior military force against unarmed civilians totally disproportionate and their protestations of merely defending themselves to be unconvincing. Anything trivialising this situation should rightly be condemned.
These Israelis apparently prefer to watch the real thing as recently described by the New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/15/w...s-drop-on-gaza-from-front-row-seats.html?_r=0
14open_sderot1-master1050.jpg

I find Israel's unrestrained use of overwhelmingly superior military force against unarmed civilians totally disproportionate and their protestations of merely defending themselves to be unconvincing. Anything trivialising this situation should rightly be condemned.
These Israelis apparently prefer to watch the real thing as recently described by the New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/15/w...s-drop-on-gaza-from-front-row-seats.html?_r=0

grober... for the sake of impartiality...:

Reactions to the September 11 attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am not trying to start an argument... or to prove that one side is morally superior to the other.

I am simply trying to demonstrate that the reason these threads are going nowhere, is not because the Palestinians are right and the Israelis are wrong, or vice versa, but because there are two sides to every story, and we inevitably end-up in two camps each pushing forward their own uncompromising view of the situation, with either giving little ground.

Last edited:
I find that National Service is usually given as an answer from those that it wouldn't affect.

The "when I were a lad" brigade.

And on a lighter note (if there is one given the some mood in the Middle East), here's a quick game:

Get from: 'Google Play game', to: 'National Service in the UK', in three posts. Good luck! :D

Not trying to take sides but simpling trying to put my distaste for those specific of games into some sort of context. As the journalist who took that recent photograph said

Explaining that he has also previously witnessed Palestinians cheering news of bombings that killed Israelis, Mr. Sorensen said that in a war, “this is what happens.” Civilians and fighters on both sides, he said, “go through a process of dehumanizing the enemy.”

I see these video games as part of that dehumanising process.:dk:

IanA2 said:
Let's have a big hand now....that perfect cover drive brings up the half century:D:D

You should really thank me for this thread not being locked yet.

Its like with teenagers, they will usually do the opposite to what they are asked ;)

grober, this is spot on.

Ironically, Israel's Iron Dome (pun intended) was to prove its downfall - it was so successful, that it lost Israel any sympathy from those parts of the world that are otherwise impartial to the conflict.

This is indeed a particular issue for Israel, a vulnerability that its opponents exploit well.

Israel considers itself physically in Europe and mentally in America, in spite of its location in Asia and the Middle East.

Israel's economy is based on commerce and export, mostly of IP and technology, and this requires movement of goods and people. Any restrictions imposed by the EU (very likely) or the US (unlikely) will seriously dash Israel's hope of ever becoming an equal member of the civilised world.

Many countries are engaged in land disputes and other conflicts, some violent, some not. We in the UK currently have land disputes with Argentina and with Spain. We may have a future land dispute (or waters dispute, if you like) with an Independent Scotland over the North Sea. We are also engaged in another long running dispute, the NI conflict. But the crucial factor is that we never allowed any of these disputes or conflicts to define us.
The Israelis managed to mismanage their conflict by allowing it to define Israel - when we hear 'Israel' we immediately think 'Palestine'.

But when we hear 'Turkey' we think of sunny beaches and great lamb dishes.... no one thinks 'Kurdistan' or 'Cyprus' (other than Kurds and Cypriots of course). I am not suggesting that Turkey is an evil country, far from it, it is a normal country which sadly is also engaged in several conflicts, like so many other countries.

In this context, violent and insensitive 'bomb Gaza' games server no useful purpose. They will cause pain to Palestinians, Offend Muslims, and enrage decent people everywhere. And they will help cement people's view that Israel is only about the land dispute with Palestine. No one benefits... but many will be hurt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom