Harsh Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BarlboroughJohn

Car
W208 CLK 320
I have a 208 CLK convertible on a 52 plate. It runs on 17inch AMG wheels with low profile tyres that were on the car when I bought it last. The ride is very harsh and every bump in the road seems to shake through the car. Is this normal for this car or if not can anybody give me some idea what could cause this.

Thanks
John

What are you calling low-pro tyres?

Low-pro are normally fitted to 18-in and 19-in wheels. (eg 265/35-18)

Low-pro rubber can be a bit hard on the posterior.

But low-pro on 17-in? - do you have the right rolling diameter for your car? - that could upset it lots.

There was a time when a 70-profile was regarded as 'low profile'. ;)

Tell us what's on the car - wheel dimensions as well as tyre dimensions - and we have then got something to work with.

Welcome to the forum by the way! :thumb:

I run 17 inch AMG wheels on my 230SLK and yes, the ride can get a bit lumpy. If you want a smoother ride try 16 inch wheels with a higher profile tyre.
17s are fitted with 225.45.s on the front and 245.40.s on the rear IIRC.

I had 17" AMG wheels on my 1999V CLK 230K coupe and they were fine. Perhaps you have badly worn ball joints so every movement of the front wheels is magnified through to the steering.

Yes 17" are going to ride a bit harsher that 16" or even 15". Have you checked the pressure un the tyres? They should not be over the manufactures normes (info in the petrol tank flap)

ping the OP?

Tyres should be like 225/45-17 ??? - which should be nice and comfy.
Some makes/models do have hasher ride than others - what make tyres?

Look to shock absorbers unless it has had some "sporty" upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom