Has anybody built a homemade bush puller?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

millo777

MB Enthusiast
Car
1997 W140 S600L/2003 S211 320cdi
I'm looking at replacing the bushes for the rear swing arms of my w124, one on the swing arm itself and the other on the hub carrier.

Looking around on-line, the bush extractor kits that sell for £100+ seem like they could be easily replicated with a length of threaded bar and 6 inches of off cut scaffolding pole. Even if I went the whole hog and used thrust bearings on each side it would only cost about £10 all in.

Has anyone out there built something similar and used it successfully?

I'm curious about my chances of getting the bushes out without having to resort to removing the hub. Should I just buy a kit from ebay and have done with it, or will a home made kludge get the bushes out and back in o.k?

Over the years I've often made my own pullers from a variety of long bolts, washers, spacers etc... They usually work fine. I'm in the midst of replacing all suspension bushes on my old Pajero at the moment. Home-made bush pullers abound!

I've used home made pullers with some success, but I'm not sure I'd trust them to do the job in situ.

First, metal sleeved bushes need accurately sized tubes to pull them out, or you end up pulling out only the rubber bit.

Second, inserting the new bush needs an accurate sleeve to hold it exactly in alignment, or it jams.

And finally, I've always found I need to use the long extension bar on the socket to get enough leverage. Use an M14 threaded rod or bolt, and lubricate well...

These were the suspension and subframe bushes on a 20 year old Audi, so you might be luckier.

Ian.

Had a life off bush pulling/beating exercises.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom