has anybody fittet bov = blow off valve in turbodiesel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

poisas

Hello anyone has fitted that on the car for that fancy litle pshh noise ? :)
any info on that would be appreciated.

No.

It won't work.....and why would you want to lose boost..

If you want to look like a t**t, just get a T-shirt with "I am a t**t" on it.

It'll be much cheaper

If you want to look like a t**t, just get a T-shirt with "I am a t**t" on it.

It'll be much cheaper

i mean why they dont work ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf_Pf77Y9Ws
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wc0XinDfhQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzhADMFfJSE&feature=related
and there is much more ,
ofcourse if they are loosing boost away= loss of power than its no sense :) i mean i just love to hear that sound :) it makes me happy :D so why could'nt i spend ~130pounds for it :D

i mean why they dont work ?

ofcourse if they are loosing boost away= loss of power than its no sense :) i mean i just love to hear that sound :) it makes me happy :D so why could'nt i spend ~130pounds for it :D

It won't work because....

A blow off valve or dump valve is used on a turbo PETROL engine. A petrol engine has a throttle butterfly valve which blocks the inlet when you take your foot off the accelerator. When you do this, the pressurized air from the turbo has nowhere to go. Without a blow off valve, the back pressure can cause the turbo compressor to slow or stall. When you try to accelerate again, the turbo has to spin up to speed again which creates lag or a flat spot.

With a blow off valve fitted, when the throttle is closed, the blow off valve vents the boosted air so that the turbo compressor does not slow or stall so that when you press the accelerator again, the blow off valve closes and the boost is there instantly because the compressor is still spinning fast.

A diesel engine doesn't have a throttle butterfly valve to restrict the inlet when you take your foot off the accelerator, so the turbo does not slow/stall anyway.

You can buy diesel dump valve's.. they are electronically actuated.. cost around £200.. Forge Motorsport sell them.. to name one..

A blow off valve or dump valve is used on a turbo PETROL engine. A petrol engine has a throttle butterfly valve which blocks the inlet when you take your foot off the accelerator. When you do this, the pressurized air from the turbo has nowhere to go. Without a blow off valve, the back pressure can cause the turbo compressor to slow or stall. When you try to accelerate again, the turbo has to spin up to speed again which creates lag or a flat spot.

With a blow off valve fitted, when the throttle is closed, the blow off valve vents the boosted air so that the turbo compressor does not slow or stall so that when you press the accelerator again, the blow off valve closes and the boost is there instantly because the compressor is still spinning fast.

A diesel engine doesn't have a throttle butterfly valve to restrict the inlet when you take your foot off the accelerator, so the turbo does not slow/stall anyway.

so this won't work :(
http://www.ultratuning.com/en/product-7368-blow-off-valve-bov-kit-for-turbo-diesel.html

i mean if i loos my pressure while shifting gears, and engine is using this presure so i need to instal boost gauge to see what is happening in my intake manifold damit :D so where is that boost going ? :) to the cilinder ? :) so while accelerating and shifting i have positive pressure in the intake all the time hmmm.

so this won't work :(
http://www.ultratuning.com/en/product-7368-blow-off-valve-bov-kit-for-turbo-diesel.html

i mean if i loos my pressure while shifting gears, and engine is using this presure so i need to instal boost gauge to see what is happening in my intake manifold damit :D so where is that boost going ? :) to the cilinder ? :) so while accelerating and shifting i have positive pressure in the intake all the time hmmm.

If all you want is the sound yes it will work but it will also loose you boost/power.
Once you have dumped all the boost pressure it will have to be built up again.
Hence your car will be slower & have less power.
These blow off valves for turbo diesels are just for the sound & show and not for any useful purpose where with a petrol turbo they serve a purpose of stopping possible compressor stall/slowing.

BTW I do have a boost gauge fitted to my car :D

You can buy diesel dump valve's.. they are electronically actuated.. cost around £200.. Forge Motorsport sell them.. to name one..

What's that old expression...something about money and sense..:rolleyes:

buy an e320
no serious save your 130 squid or send it to me

Last edited:
Can you fit one? Yes.

http://www.zen19051.zen.co.uk/prod01.htm

Would it do anything positive other than make a FFFFFFSSSSSSTTTTT noise in a normal diesel? No. Nothing. Nix. Nil. Nada. Not a sausage. Square root of SFA.

However, that is not to say such things are 100% pointless. If you have, for example, a large compound turbocharged competion diesel engine pumping out in excess of 1,000bhp and producing 1,800lb-ft of torque whilst running at 79psi boost with a non wastegated turbocharger you might want to fit an external wastegate in there to stop excess pressure building up when you lift off.

Otherwise do not bother

Last edited:
Satch what engine is that in the pic?

Lynall

great explanation!!

I was slated for using the word "stall" when describing what happens to the turbo when the pressurised air hits it but i agree its a valid description

You can buy little electronic boxes nowadays whioch creat this sound for non turbo'ed cars

I have a VTA BOV on my skyline and the noise really gets on my nerves , i wish i could get away without one but i tried and it doesnt work

Well, this has enlightened me. I thought this was just for effect.

I tend to witness this gadget on small hatchbacks(usually underpowered) and the occasional cosworth or nissan. Most of the time the drivers accelerate as much as possible ( & promptly brake heavily before the next speedbump) inbetween gearchanges with the sole purpose of building more pressure to make a louder phsstt noise; always in built up areas (as that is where all of the female population, upon hearing this noise, are likely to instantly decide that the driver is highly worthy of fornicating with).

The trouble is, unless it is an engine worthy of such a gadget (such as post #12), everyone else (apart from said driver) just assume it is another t**t on patrol in his naff car driving around killing time after his tea & before bedtime at mums(where he also lives).
Now on an E class diesel, that may be even more misguided...

Your choice if you wish to be associated with this cohort of the population!

Last edited:
I mean this E-clas avangarde with low as hell suspesion looks kinda sportish.
It was worth for me to make this threat and get knowledge about it. So NOW i know that i will never put any dump valve in my turbodiesel or any turbodiesel.
What i will do :) i will put a boost gauge :) and i will do a map mod with Schottky diodes to enchance sensitivity. and i will see what will happen :D

great explanation!!

I have a VTA BOV on my skyline and the noise really gets on my nerves , i wish i could get away without one but i tried and it doesnt work

Cant you get rid of the VTA BOV, and fit the factory re-circ valve instead?

I mean this E-clas avangarde with low as hell suspesion looks kinda sportish.
It was worth for me to make this threat and get knowledge about it. So NOW i know that i will never put any dump valve in my turbodiesel or any turbodiesel.
What i will do :) i will put a boost gauge :) and i will do a map mod with Schottky diodes to enchance sensitivity. and i will see what will happen :D

You could buy a 'supercharger' air filter from eBay.. adds 100bhp.. little fan instead a piece of rubber hose with a giant cone filter. :bannana:

You could buy a 'supercharger' air filter from eBay.. adds 100bhp.. little fan instead a piece of rubber hose with a giant cone filter. :bannana:

i cannot fit and i wond do want to fit a cone air filter, cause its hot enough there, and thermal ventilator is side-blowing hot air to this place, so air input pipe is instaled in to the car front grils to be as colder as it could. if i could fit somehow air filter in the oposite side of the engine (no exaust and turbo side) it would be some meaning to do that. i mean merc air intake piping is worce i ever seen. 180% degree angles to the intake manifold :) who was thinking wile engineering that ? !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom