Has anyone actually put winter tyres on their C63 yet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trando

Car
C63 AMG
I know there has been loads of discussion on this but has anyone done this yet? If so, what make did you go for and has it helped?

Still can't make up my mind.

Not a C63 but I can offer a view on my C32 with Michelin Pilot Alpin fitted, versus Pirelli P-Zero Rossos I had on before. Rears are now 20mm narrower to aid traction in snow.

Not really any different in these cool and greasy conditions. I guess the real test will come when weather gets colder, and we have snow fall. It should be dramatic!!

Im like you trando
waiting and thinking....

With a C63, I'd be leaving it at home when it snows. No point in risking some other driver sliding into you even if you have traction.

Hire a car for the couple of days of snow we have if needs be... the cheaper the hire car the better it will likely be in the snow too.

My SL is now beautifully clean and warm and snug in the garage and it wont be venturing out before March unless the roads are dry. My 190E on the other hand has 4 new winter tyres on it and is ready for the worst the weather car throw at it.

Last edited:
Im like you trando
waiting and thinking....

I got caught in snow in 2005, and each subsequent year I waited and eventually decided to do it "next year". That worked great until last winter!! I decided not to risk it this year.

If you're unlikely to keep the car long it may not be worth it, but if you're likely to keep it long enough to have to change the tyres, then the cost will be neutral - just timed differently. That's the way I looked at it anyway!!

The jury is still out then...

We don't get much snow down in Winchester so maybe it will be a 'not this year' (famous last words...).

So very not a C63 but I fitted winters this year. Kumho KW27 225/45/17 front and 245/40/17 rears (summers are 225/40/18 and 245/35/18)

My first 'spirited' drive today, roads mixed, dry and damp temp approx 7C.

What I noted was a less precise turn in. Grip was very good, on a par with the summers but initial feel was a little 'jelly' like (if that makes sense!).

Bring on the snow :D

With a C63, I'd be leaving it at home when it snows. No point in risking some other driver sliding into you even if you have traction.

Hire a car for the couple of days of snow we have if needs be... the cheaper the hire car the better it will likely be in the snow too.

My SL is now beautifully clean and warm and snug in the garage and it wont be venturing out before March unless the roads are dry. My 190E on the other hand has 4 new winter tyres on it and is ready for the worst the weather car throw at it.

While it is in the garage you can have a S/C fitted.....

That's probably the larger tread blocks just moving around

Yup., that's what I reckoned. A little unnerving to begin with but the grip is there :thumb:

Putting winter tyres on a C63 is about as sensible as sensible as a chocolate teapot, just leave it in the garage if it snows, even with snowies on it will still have the handling of a cross channel ferry in snow and ice :doh:

Putting winter tyres on a C63 is about as sensible as sensible as a chocolate teapot, just leave it in the garage if it snows, even with snowies on it will still have the handling of a cross channel ferry in snow and ice :doh:

I doubt a cross channel ferry handles any different in snow and ice ... :rolleyes:

Does the C63 have more power than a WRC car? They manage well enough in snow and ice. It's all down to the driver, surely?

But I take the point. The C63 is not purchased as an everyday, all weather hack!

I cannot see why a C63 should be any more difficult in snow than a 220cdi for example. Yes, the 63 has more power (oh yes!) but you don't have to use it. With gentle use of the old right foot most cars can cope with UK conditions.

The real problem is the -to me - daft fashion to fit bigger and bigger wheels with wider, low profile tyres. They offer less grip in the wet, aquaplane more easily, are hopeless in snow, noisier at motorway speeds, and give a harsher ride. Smaller wheels with more normal, narrower tyres and a chunky tread are what is needed in snow. Failing that socks work well but you need to keep the speed down to avoid excessive wear.
http://www.autosock.co.uk/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn8C5AxgpgU

Last edited:
I doubt a cross channel ferry handles any different in snow and ice ... :rolleyes:

Does the C63 have more power than a WRC car? They manage well enough in snow and ice. It's all down to the driver, surely?

But I take the point. The C63 is not purchased as an everyday, all weather hack!

Well spotted a bit of bad grammar there :doh:

No a C63 has more power than a WRC car but the WRC cars use very advanced sensors and software to maximise traction, most WRC cars are also 4 wheel drive and again how much power goes to which wheel is very accurately controlled. Tyres and compound also play a big part and will be matched precisely to local conditions, tread pattern varies greatly whether you are on snow, compacted snow or ice. Same applies to gravel and tarmac stages.

Driver ability for sure does play a big part but with all that power on a C63 going through the rear wheels then it's hopeless in snow & ice even with snowies on.

I have a set of winter tyres ready to go on SWMBO's Audi A8 but that although running 450 bhp has 4 wheel drive (Quattro) so should be fine, but I have no intention of putting them on unless we get severe snow.

Are they really that bad in the snow? Do people in other European countries who have a lot more snow than us leave their C63s at home then when it snows?

Last edited:
Are they really that bad in the snow? Do people in European countries who have a lot more snow than us leave their C63s at home then when it snows?

UK is a European country :thumb:

All I know is in sweden and austria when I have been there when it is really snowy everyone has studded tyres - even buses and they have remarkable grip.

Don't see any reason why performance cars can't do the same ??

Last edited:
are they really that bad in the snow? Do people in other european countries who have a lot more snow than us leave their c63s at home then when it snows?

:thumb:

Put it this way you very rarely see any performance car in Bavaria in the winter, they all switch to their golfs on winter or studded tyres. Rear Wheel drive cars are a very rare sight on Bavarian roads in the winter months

I'll be switching to the wife's Honda Cr-v on all weather tyres.....my car is useless and I don't see the point of switching tyres when there is another vehicle parked in the drive.

I'll be switching to the wife's Honda Cr-v on all weather tyres.....my car is useless and I don't see the point of switching tyres when there is another vehicle parked in the drive.

I used to run all weather on my Subaru Legacy Outlook, they were Yoko's and absolutely brilliant in dry wet or snow :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom