Has anyone any experience of a scissor lift or similar?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

isobars

Car
300SD'79, E300TD '95, 300TDT '82, 280CE '84, 250L '84, 300SEL LPG '91, 300D '80, 300CE '91, 300E '89
Hi,

I'm getting too old for crawling around on all fours or back-shimmying, (unless it's grog induced, of course).

Has anyone used a scissor lift that'll hoist a big car about five feet or so from the floor without fear of it dropping on their head?

Any mobile lift, really. I would like to be able to move it about.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Paul

Was involved in the installation of one some years ago for McLaren at Woking prior to release of their first road car. V Expensive!

Hi Sp!ke and Mike,

Thanks for the tip and info.

I bought some of those drive-on ramp's which you can then further raise to about 2'6" - in old money - from the chap in Heywood. Nice fellow, does good business on Ebay and elsewhere. Spends a lot of his time in China. They weren't EU approved.

After very little use I noticed they were bowed a little on the drive up angle.
I took them back and he swapped them with the new standard which are 1mm thicker - note how I seamlessly flip from one currency to another!

I've been on them three times so far and they're still straight, though I don't dawdle on the slope, (not saying I ever did, M'Lud).

Usually in cases of all things Mechanical or Electrical, or both, I have a look at what our Good friends in the Fatherland are buying - my research has served me well for over thirty five years in finding the best way to combine water, barley and hops, for example.

I just wondered if anyone had actually had a proper experience of a portable-ish lifting piece of machinery, or it'll be First Hans experience I'll rely on - and a TuV sticker.

Cheers,

Paul

or buy the cheap chinese version and 4 Akro props to hold the load when it fails in service:doh:

Do you not need 3 phase electricity to power a lift/ramp?

That looks the thing! Thanks.

Does that leave the wheels hanging over the edges - I can't see the measurement.

I've seen some that are slid laterally under the car.

Is 1m a high enough lift or is there a certain amount of crouching?

Did you need any accessories?

Cheers,

Paul

Hi,

Yes using a C Class as an example the wheels over hang... It lifts to a comfortable working height for an average person.. IF you are doing tyres, brakes etc.

I wouldnt really call it mobile though, its really very heavy.

The only extra's you need are some oil for it and some way of supplying electricity... You need a large plug fitting.. Doesnt need 3 phase but a normal 13A plug is not adequate.

Thanks.

So with the extended platform it might allow the wheels to be on the ramps, depending on the wheelbase.

Just need to measure the vehicles, then.

Does it need a few bit's of four by two or similar to rest on. or is it straight onto the frame?

Thanks again for the info.

Whole new world.

Cheers,

Paul

Those are awesome but expensive..

Talbir has one made by Danmar I believe... Similar setup but has optional ramps which fit onto the arms so it can be made into a drive on ramp.

kam05 said:
Do you not need 3 phase electricity to power a lift/ramp?

"Three phase power supply"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom