Has anyone appealed a parking ticket here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jadefox

Car
GLA AMG 220 CDI
I went out last night to the Pub with some friends and I bought a parking ticket (for £1 may I add!) and thought i had displayed it correctly on the dash, when i got back to the car a few hours later I had received a parking penalty - reason; failing to display a parking ticket.

Now, i looked from the outside of the car, and granted, the ticket was a bit obscured - i think that when i had closed the door the wind must have shifted it - but you could still see there was a ticket - just not clearly - however if you looked into the window a bit further you could clearly read the ticket.

Anyway, i got home and went on line and filed an appeal through the council web site, i filled out a form on line - punched in all the details etc - but i've never done it this way before - so what happens next??

I have had no confirmation via email to say that they've received the appeal - I included a photo of the ticket with the appeal form on line and I explained that i had bought said ticket and had witnesses to say i had - and i also pointed out that there were probably cameras to prove i had too!
So what happens next? Anyone had to fill out one of these things in the past??

PS - hope this is in the right area of the forum - i just read the announcement....:crazy::eek:

Last edited:
Anyway, i got home and went on line and filed an appeal through the council web site, i filled out a form on line - punched in all the details etc - but i've never done it this way before - so what happens next??

You go to Gaol...

I am right in thinking, the ticket you bought was bought sometime prior to the penalty, was for the correct amount, and was still valid at the time of the penalty?

If so, then we need Mr Saunders to stop eating and tell us which way it goes now.

It says to me that it may be overzealous attendants, however, it really does depend onexaclty how obscured the ticket was.

I am sure they get this argument everyday.

still, hope you win

If your ticket has valid times on it which cover the time of when the penalty was issued, then you have yourself a case.

Assuming it was displayed correctly....

Unless they have pics showing it obscured or whatever then presumably the fact you still have the valid ticket would get you off. Unless of course you are telling them it was improperly sited in which case you are telling them you are guily as charged :)

Aye appeal it, what have you to lose. A ticket thats valid @ the time of the FPN is going to make it uncomfortable for them :D

Unless they have pics showing it obscured or whatever then presumably the fact you still have the valid ticket would get you off. Unless of course you are telling them it was improperly sited in which case you are telling them you are guily as charged :)

Dont they take photos of the car now?

oooh, I like non-display of P&D tickets.

All of this depends on the authority in question, so we need to know where it was issued, so I can see if I can find anything out. And is there a contravention code number?

I assume this is a first-occasion type contravention, i.e. you've not had one before? That may well go in your favour as the authority may well have a lenient cancellation policy - i.e. if you produce a valid P&D ticket you can have the PCN cancelled - it's what we do in Peterborough for example. A link to our policy is here, for reference

The contravention is failure to pay AND display - so it depends how lenient the authority is. They may take a hard line, they may not. It depends on their discretion certainly. You have nothing to lose my submitting your informal challenge, and the authority will hold the case until they reply, so if you have to pay, the discount period is honoured from their response.

Most enforcement officers will take photographs these days, so it’s likely they will have noted your obscured ticket.

I assume this is a Penalty Charge Notice issued under Traffic Management Act 2004; if it’s a private parking ticket, you may find the enforcement body less accommodating.

Ive appealed loads, never really won... apart from one where the sign was in the wrong place... I had picture evidence.

I had an almost idential thing happen to me many years ago. I wrote to the council and eventually, after about 2-3 months of deliberation they said that on THIS occassion they would waiver the fine.
So fingers crossed.

We've appealed before under similar conditions.

My wife went to Cheltenham, parked and bought a pay & display ticket. She's adamant that she stuck it to the windscreen, however when she got back to the car she had a oarking ticket.

We can only assume that a. she didn't display the ticket properly or b. that the ticket had fallen off.

Anyway, we appealed and sent the ticket (keeping a photocopy of it) with an explanation. They accepted so no fine to pay!

A collague of mine had something similar happen, although they displayed the ticket upside down (or rather his 8 year old son did). This was Basingstoke & Deane council who didn't accept this as they stated the ticket needed to be displayed correctly (including the right way up!).

Good luck!

I've appealed a ticket before for a similar reason and it DID get cancelled, albeit a couple of yearsd ago now and in a different town (though same council probably?). Not sure if this will go aginst us or not?!
:)

Hello hubby *waves* :)

Thanks for the advice, i will just have to sit it out and wait and see - and yes - it was valid till 8.30am this morning, so no worries about it still being valid :D

Ahhh now you will have to change to Little Mrs Chatterbox:D

oooh, I like non-display of P&D tickets.

All of this depends on the authority in question, so we need to know where it was issued, so I can see if I can find anything out. And is there a contravention code number?

Yeah, the PCN no was... MW25130953
and it was in Rainham (Gillingham) in Kent

Ahhh now you will have to change to Little Mrs Chatterbox:D

There's other names I would think of first! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom