Has anyone attempted this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

babz

Car
1996 Mercedes C180
Hi guys, was just wondering if anyone had tried to install an aftermarket sub and amp in their W202?

ive done many installations but im a little curious on how it will work out. it seems like the merc is too well put together (making it hard to hide/feed the wires??)

any advice??

most of the time my major worry is the power cable, its the fattest wire by far, but on the merc the battery is in the boot so it saves me having to hide it under the carpet.

my worry now is the pre-out cables, i think i can run it under that carpet. but i cant see how i can feed it into the actual boot space?

You need to feed the wires through the plastic cable channels running up the sides of the car, the channels open into the boot space. You will see them if you unclip and remove the boot trim to reveal them.

Theres a thread somewhere on the net where a guy installs a sub and amp into his c300. He puts step by step pictures on it aswell. He does wire it differently by taking feeds off each speaker so you could ignore that part and just take note of where he routes the cables from the headunit into the boot. DIY: C300 Amplified Subwoofer Install - MBWorld.org Forums
It is a 2010 W204 but im sure the wiring routes will be the same as they were on my W203 coupe (to a certain degree).

im confident i can wire it all up (ive done loads of my cars) the only issue i have is that unlike the other cars i have messed around with. the merc is the most complicated i.e gettin the pre out cables fed from behind the HU to the carpet and through to the boot. (it seems too well put together to be able to rip out the trim and carpet) i cant see how i can hide all the cables under the carpet and feed it into the boot??

im confident i can wire it all up (ive done loads of my cars) the only issue i have is that unlike the other cars i have messed around with. the merc is the most complicated i.e gettin the pre out cables fed from behind the HU to the carpet and through to the boot. (it seems too well put together to be able to rip out the trim and carpet) i cant see how i can hide all the cables under the carpet and feed it into the boot??

Run all the cables from the headunit down to under the passenger footwell carpet
unclip the sill trim and feed it through there until you get to the rear wheel arch.

Then feed the cables through the small gap with the cars cabling.

When you know how, it can be done in less than 25mins! :)

ahhh im pretty much 100% i can do it now. only worry i have is pulling my HU out. i havnt got the keys for it

ahhh im pretty much 100% i can do it now. only worry i have is pulling my HU out. i havnt got the keys for it

Heres my video of me removing mine in under 13 seconds :D

[YOUTUBE]Ji2X4NkiHh0[/YOUTUBE]

seems like a good idea, but the HU cage tends to be securely held into place (with the little triangle things you bend with a screwdriver i think) so it might be a littlle harder? i bought the car with the HU already installed so i would hate to think numptys have played around with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom