Has Anyone Clayed Their Car ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aletank

MB Enthusiast
Plenty of people in the USA Clay their cars but it doesn't get mentioned much here in the UK.
Has anyone done it ?
What was it like ?
Where did you get the clay from ?
Do you think it was worth it ?
What process do you use ? Just rub it over don't you ?

Any info/advice on this would be grateful ;)

From what I gather :confused: A Clay Bar is like the size of a bar of soap and you rub it over the paint work and it picks up any ground in dirt on to the clay bar.

Yes I have used it on my previous car and this one. Got mine from Meguiars, it's OK but dont think it will do much if you look after youre car already, it's great for neglected paintwork.

I have clayed my car. The results first time were amazing and my car is regualry washed and polished. I used meguiars Quick Clay costs around £12.

Process: Wash car to remove surface dirt
Spray car with lubricant solution (Quick Detailer in Meguiars case) the run surface with clay bar and then wife of residue. The paint work then will feel as silk as glass. (I have read that you can use diluted car washing solution as a lubricant am this appparently works just aswell.)
Finally polish car as normal.

Tan said:
I have clayed my car. The results first time were amazing and my car is regualry washed and polished. I used meguiars Quick Clay costs around £12.

Spray car with lubricant solution (Quick Detailer in Meguiars case) the run surface with clay bar and then wife of residue. The paint work then will feel as silk as glass. (I have read that you can use diluted car washing solution as a lubricant am this appparently works just aswell.)

Interesting trick, cant imagane me rubbing my car with wife, she may get upset........and you havent seen my wife :eek: so anyone got a spare wife? :D

Tan said:

Do you throw away the clay afterwards or it could be reused? I've got a section of paintwork that needed some TLC due to road tar and was wondering whether claying would help me getting rid of those?

rizal2510 said:
Do you throw away the clay afterwards or it could be reused? I've got a section of paintwork that needed some TLC due to road tar and was wondering whether claying would help me getting rid of those?

You have to keep turning the clay as it gets dirty, it can be re-used for a while.

Regards the tar I dont think that clay is the correct product I would buy a specific tar removal product... I belive that Autoglym make one called Intensive Tar Remover.

I was wondering if the claybar has fine abrasives in it which will sand down the partly raised surround of the stonechips and touched up parts and also will it result in fine spider web scratches on my midnight blue duco paint(non-metallic).

hocky said:
I was wondering if the claybar has fine abrasives in it which will sand down the partly raised surround of the stonechips and touched up parts and also will it result in fine spider web scratches on my midnight blue duco paint(non-metallic).

try using a cutting compond on them - available from Halfords for less than £3, follow the instructions to the letter and you'll get a great finish :)

Andy

Thanks Andy. I will try what you suggested soon when I can find the time to do it. Actually I am in Melbourne, Australia, no Halfords here.

Not in my experience with Maguiars clay. The clay is like a piece of plasticine even with a 'pleasant' perfume smell. You could even try plasticine with soapy water - its not going to harm is it. Try white plasticine so you can see when its dirty.

I found claying to make a FANTASTIC difference. I thought the surface was clean after washing but after claying it was amazingly smooth - its got to be done to be appreciated. Lets be clear, what you are doing is removing all the tiny bits of eg tree sap etc that sits on top of the paint. The claying seems to grab it off.

Give it a go

I've lived in the US & UK & never heard of this stuff. Is this a spoof thread? Where (in the UK) can you get it?

Mail Order .... meguiars.co.uk/.com, but probably available retail as well if you can find it.

Not a spoof thread, for sure !

S.

Last edited:
Aletank - don't you go polishing that car any more, you'll get higher insurance premiums for causing glare!

neilrr said:
I've lived in the US & UK & never heard of this stuff. Is this a spoof thread? Where (in the UK) can you get it?

'Betta Motoring' in Scarborough, North Yorks. They have a web site but I dont know it. Funnily enough, I was in there this 'after, buying some Gold Class but not clay.

Portzy.

Just had a look. Its www.bettamotoring.co.uk they do mail order

Last edited:
Zymol HD-Cleanse is very similar to this - but is in liquid form. It does take a few hours to apply and then wipe off, but the difference is amazing. The paintwork is really smooth. The best bit though is applying the wax ... :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom