Has anyone converted a house into two flats?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswt

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C320cdi Sport, S-Max 2.0T Titanium Sport, 1974 Triumph Stag (needing restoration)
My father-in-law has a detached 4 bed house which I’m looking to convert into two flats, downstairs for him and a 2 bed flat upstairs for rent.

Has anyone done this before as I’d just like a heads up on the level of work required with regard to fire proofing, means of escape, sound proofing and electrics.

All the bricks & sticks building work is very straight forward and nothing there particularly concerns me but I’m a little unsure when it comes to the level of fire separation need between the top and bottom flat and also as I’m splitting the electric will the entire house need to be bought up to current Regs or just the new board and installation on the top floor?

Cheers
Chris

Last edited:
Not sure as you are creating a new dwelling
Planning permission?
Definately would need fire separation & sound insulation.

Lots of info here
A trip to your local council planning & building regs departments would be a good idea

Not sure as you are creating a new dwelling
Planning permission?
Definately would need fire separation & sound insulation.

Lots of info here
A trip to your local council planning & building regs departments would be a good idea

Thanks for that. Yep planning and a sign off from Building Control is a given but the level of fire/sound separation is what worries me. I have a 3 storey HMO in London and the fire regs dont require fire protection between floors but I'm wonder where a flat would!

That website is ok but the very link answering all my conversion from house to flat questions doesn't work! typical hey.

Regs vary council to council under a general UK wide framework. The fire officer will advise you as to what he requires to meet fire regs. Between him, planning and BC you won't go far wrong in doing it right.

Have you also considered spitting of the utilities as this should be factored into your budget.

developer215 said:
Regs vary council to council under a general UK wide framework. The fire officer will advise you as to what he requires to meet fire regs. Between him, planning and BC you won't go far wrong in doing it right.

Have you also considered spitting of the utilities as this should be factored into your budget.

Yeah I think I'll try to get in touch with local fire officer as talking to the local planning office gets you no where - well it does get you a receptionist who points you in the direction of their website!!!

I've factored in splitting the utilities and have an excellent electrician who would do most of the work but I'm expecting big bills from the utilities!!!

Do you know if this framework is available to download and read?

Do you think I'd be able to install a check meter on the gas and electric rather than split the incoming utilities?

There is no mortgage on the house and I only ever plan to rent out the top flat until we demolish the house (within the next 10 year)s to make way for a new 4 bed dwelling.

There are both gas and electric meters available that you you can fit as pre payment - i.e the tenant credits the meter, you pay the bill as now.

It's not a perfect solution but will avoid the cost of spltting supplies if it's a (relatively) short term conversion.

Have a look at Stephen P Wales who supplies various types of credit meter:
Stephen P. Wales Meters: Index

If the valuation office (VOA) determine you've created two flats they will make both liable for council tax - something else to consider.

There are both gas and electric meters available that you you can fit as pre payment - i.e the tenant credits the meter, you pay the bill as now.

It's not a perfect solution but will avoid the cost of spltting supplies if it's a (relatively) short term conversion.

Have a look at Stephen P Wales who supplies various types of credit meter:
Stephen P. Wales Meters: Index

If the valuation office (VOA) determine you've created two flats they will make both liable for council tax - something else to consider.

Thanks, I'll point my spark in the direction of that website if i get the all clear that I can go down that route.

Council Tax! - every time you reply I end up hearing about another cost! Hopefully that's just a form filling exercise!! :confused:

The biggest area of uncertainty is the sound proofing between the units. The testing for building regulations certification is done after the work is completed and there is no advance certainty of compliance.
Density of material (heavy rubber membrane) will be necessary and all possible areas of air borne noise must be sealed......cables, pipes, skirtings.....absolutely everything......this is not an exacting science so my advice is to get all the input you can get and then go way over the top.
It is far too expensive to get a failure.
I do not have time to check my files at present but I have used a company in Witney for advice and materials in the past......very helpful and user friendly.

Mic

The biggest area of uncertainty is the sound proofing between the units. The testing for building regulations certification is done after the work is completed and there is no advance certainty of compliance.
Density of material (heavy rubber membrane) will be necessary and all possible areas of air borne noise must be sealed......cables, pipes, skirtings.....absolutely everything......this is not an exacting science so my advice is to get all the input you can get and then go way over the top.
It is far too expensive to get a failure.
I do not have time to check my files at present but I have used a company in Witney for advice and materials in the past......very helpful and user friendly.

Mic

Appreciate the heads up there. :thumb:

When my mother-in-law bought her 1st floor maisonette she wanted sound proofing so that she wouldn’t here the family living below. I sourced her some Rockwool acoustic insulation which cost a fortune but it also had a high level of fire protection built in so hopefully I can kill two birds with one if I do the same at the father-in-laws conversion.

However as the Mother in laws can still hear the babies crying below so I think I should have also installed acoustic foam backed T&G chipboard to isolate the ceiling joists from the floor above and stop further noise transition.

Also my proposed layout has kitchen above kitchen and bedroom above bedroom etc so hopefully that will count towards satisfying the acoustician.

Appreciate the heads up there. :thumb:

When my mother-in-law bought her 1st floor maisonette she wanted sound proofing so that she wouldn’t here the family living below. I sourced her some Rockwool acoustic insulation which cost a fortune but it also had a high level of fire protection built in so hopefully I can kill two birds with one if I do the same at the father-in-laws conversion.

However as the Mother in laws can still hear the babies crying below so I think I should have also installed acoustic foam backed T&G chipboard to isolate the ceiling joists from the floor above and stop further noise transition.

Also my proposed layout has kitchen above kitchen and bedroom above bedroom etc so hopefully that will count towards satisfying the acoustician.

Found it.......Soundproofing materials & soundproofing products Sound Service oxford

Mic

Council Tax! - every time you reply I end up hearing about another cost! Hopefully that's just a form filling exercise!! :confused:

If the VOA get involved, the bottom flat owned by you guys will get a lower band than a four bed house, saving your FIL money, however, you need to be mindful that, as the property owner, when the top flat is empty he will be liable for council tax during that period too.

25% discount if he's single/on his own.

This is Birmingham information - your council may be different, though the VOA are a dept of HMRC and their liability rules are UK wide.

"independant living" is their liability buzzword, and two flats are just that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom