Has anyone ever fitted a V8 into a 124 230e?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IMD

Car
1997 SL500
Hi all,

I hope that you had a good day.

Now, in the quest for performance and a unique car, I wonder what you all think about some serious modification and fitting a V8 into a W124 230e saloon?

Just wondered if anyone has ever done it and what would be required.

I appreciate that it's one hell of a lot of work and not cost effective etc, however thats not the point really....what car is ever cost effective in the long run?!

I've read some posts from 230 owners who want more power and the suggestion is to simply start with a larger engined car, such as a 300 or 320, but I haven't found any posts about V* conversions?

Your thoughts and any offers / quotes for the work?!

Cheers

Ian

Yes - been done before.

AMG did it in the '80s. Google 'AMG Hammer' ;)

Other than that, I think it'd be quite an expensive excersise - probably better off going for a W124 500E/E500?

Will

Umm, a 500E / E500 would be an ideal choice and probabaly cheaper in the long run...but I'm curious if anyone has ever attempted a refit?

Umm, a 500E / E500 would be an ideal choice and probabaly cheaper in the long run...but I'm curious if anyone has ever attempted a refit?

Well I think the original Hammers started off as 4-cylinder models :) Wasn't Talbir's hammer a 230E from new?

Will

loads of em been done over the years, with mercedes V8's and american ones of various sizes, some of us will put a V8 into anything, no reason a conversion has to be expensive, in fact most of my mates do it cos its cheaper than buying a faster car or tuning the original engine. :D

I know a chap who has put a V8 in a Mazda MX5! He is a driving instructor of all things.

There are a few V8 engined Minis around, one has 7.2 litres and nitrous IIRC!

Hi all,

I hope that you had a good day.

Now, in the quest for performance and a unique car, I wonder what you all think about some serious modification and fitting a V8 into a W124 230e saloon?

Just wondered if anyone has ever done it and what would be required.

I've read some posts from 230 owners who want more power and the suggestion is to simply start with a larger engined car, such as a 300 or 320, but I haven't found any posts about V* conversions?

Yep, people have done it. For a work in progress, have a look here...

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=62794

I'm dropping this Pontiac engine,

Photo-000801.jpg

Into my coupe,

DSCF0001.jpg

for extra added driving fun, anything under 200bhp per ton just aint fun to drive i reckon.

Given the choice I'd start with a 280 or 320 Saloon. The main reasons are that you could sell the original engine & box of a 320 much more easily than a 230 and the brakes are bigger on the 320

It's a fairly big job, I'd say. There are plenty of people around who could do it but you'd be better off finding someone who has done it - it'll save lots of time & money

If I were to do it I'd start with a complete, running donor car so I could take parts like throttle cables, engine mounts, crossmember, tacho, fuel pumps, etc, etc. All these parts would add up if you had to buy them new. Even if you ended up replacing them with new ones (engine mounts are a good example) just having the old ones to make measurements would save lots of time

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Thanks for your replies guys and that pic Ian....A V8 in a 190! Looks interesting!

I'd love to have a detailed chat with someone about the possibilities...anyone know any mechanics around the South coast who would be worthy of a discussion?

It's very easy.

Strip the engine bay, anything in the way smply remove.

Same with the gearbox.

Then start making/ refitting parts till it is a working car again. Unless you can find someone who has done the exact same engine swap then you need to just work through each problem as it happens.

Dave!

You make it sound so easy Dave!

A bit like my very early days of DIY....knock it down, then attempt to rebuild, only to realise that you haven't the skills!:eek:

You make it sound so easy Dave!

A bit like my very early days of DIY....knock it down, then attempt to rebuild, only to realise that you haven't the skills!:eek:

They are far from easy, but certainly not as hard as they seem imo.

UNless it's a very well documented conversion then there will be loads of small jobs people forget about. If you have the dedication then it can be done.

Dave!

None of the jobs involoved in a conversion are that hard, unless the engine physically intereferes with the steering or suspension, basically i work through same as posted above, i hang the enguine and gearbox on the crane, lowering it into the bay, removing anything that gets in the way until its in the right place, weld ups some engine and gearbox mounts, route the exhausts, fit a bigger rad (sometimes you have to do some metal work to fit it) and then find new homes for the things you removed that were in the way such as fitting the battery and screen wash resovoir in the boot, then its just a matter of redoing the wiring and the controls, neither of which are hard work.

Fitting it is the easy bit (!) Making it reliable is more difficult. The secret there is to use as many bits from the original car as possible, use bits from the donor car where required (and log every one of those parts in a book) and do as little custom fabrication as possible

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom