has anyone ever fitted rear seatbelts 2 a W114/5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

falkirkpot

Long time since anyone has had to think about installing rear seat belts where there were none but it's worth a bash. I've a 230.4 1974/5 - I think they're known as W114/5 ( have you worked out you have a female infiltrator yet?) Anyway, there are no rear seat belts becasue its in South Africa ( where they dont really care) but I do want to be able to strap the brat down in the back. I dont want to rock up to a garage there coz after laughing at me for a while they'll fit something totally useless and/or not in keeping with my 'vintage' baby. SO can I buy kits here? or should I try and get them from scrap? And are they easily fitted? - not that I'm suggesting I'll chip my own nails mind - just so I can hover over whoever I get to do it and seem like I know what I'm doing - or just tell ma dad.

Odd - Ive never thought of this question..

I'll have a look at mine tomorrow - the trim is off on the C pillar, so it should be easy to tell.

If noone else answers, I'll have a look on the EPC when Im back home.

If there are holes, then its VERY easy to fit - just four bolts per seat belt. If they are just Lap belts, then its just two. I have a funny feeling they are availible, britax make them...

230.4 = 4 cylinder? = W115
4 / 5 cylinders = W115
6 cylinders = W114

The only difference is the front flitch (where the bonnet slams onto) and the front wings. Otherwise they are all the same.

Thanks! I suspect there will be no holes - it being so old and there certainly haven't been any in it previously.

Rear belts

If there are mounting holes then it's easy - just buy a set from Mercedes. The mounting holes will be where you'd expect then to be (two under the middle of the back seat, one at the bottom of each rear arch and one above the rear backrest each side

If they're there they may have blanking plugs in. They are always in thick steel sections are may be in a raised section welded onto what's below

You'll probably have to take the seat squab & backrest out to find them

If there are no mounting holes you'll have to get a very competent welder to weld some fixing bosses in. Anyone who does race preparation will know what's required and will be able to do the job without making a big deal of it

If they're like British cars the fixing bolts are unusual - 5/8" UNF fine, I think. Whoever fits them must use the correct bolts, obviously, and put a washer between the belt mount and the mounting boss. This is not a job for amateurs

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

had a quick look on the EPC - rear seatbelts are an original option - so they will bolt straight in.

HTH

Guy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom