has anyone exporting car to india/ relocating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kalvin928

Car
S205 C63s , Lotus Carlton replica, CLK 200 Kompressor
father is from India.. near Chandigarh and has all his business there in real estate... the fact that my father is getting older and considering his options, he has discussed the option of me and family permanently moving there to carry on with his business.. I have been there a few times and its is true that life there can very easy if you have money. Anyway have toyed with the idea but wouldn't want to totally 'sell up' as you never know what will happen. Anyway I know that India is looking into its taxation laws into car imports, as last time I looked they were charging around 100% car tax to bring you car into the country.... they have opened up many new factories worth most brands being available... but prices are still extortionate compared to UK prices... has anyone on here exported even though maybe not India? by the time comes, I may have moved on from E55 but am glued to the power and would only sell to improve... a lot of the roads around cities in India are much better nowadays.... and would love to blast down there but there are soo much more potential hazards there besides the shocking driving.... you can get in a car and pass and get licence in about 2 days... if you look!!

No idea about importing, but if it's like doing business there, there will be different speeds depending upon your ability to encourage the officials responsible with the necessary inducements.

Having been there numerous times, I would take a 1970s Volvo with extra reinforced bumpers! I recall being driven up the Cochin bypass (a three lane motorway no less) flat out in an Ambassador (49..........49.......49........49..........50......49....) and there in the fast lane was an old chap on his bicycle heading serenely towards us. Elephants in the slow lane also made it a little more exciting than the M25.

Charles Morgan said:
No idea about importing, but if it's like doing business there, there will be different speeds depending upon your ability to encourage the officials responsible with the necessary inducements.

Having been there numerous times, I would take a 1970s Volvo with extra reinforced bumpers! I recall being driven up the Cochin bypass (a three lane motorway no less) flat out in an Ambassador (49..........49.......49........49..........50......49....) and there in the fast lane was an old chap on his bicycle heading serenely towards us. Elephants in the slow lane also made it a little more exciting than the M25.

Lol you got it to a tee!!' As well as the carnivorous sized bags of farm produce being stacked on bikes

Sent from my Apple Mobile Device using MBClub UK

I have been to India several times on short duration business trips, travelling with all the bells and whistles. Some 25 years later I am still trying to erase the trauma!
Good luck with the paperwork, the bureaucracy and corruption from the officials at all levels. No doubt your father will know of an excellent "intermediary"

Last edited:
Whatever vehicle you chose i would seriously consider the servicing aspect. Me I would have an old W126/ W140 500/560 in excellent nick/ restored - chances are you could write down its actual value

Restoring it in India would be cheaper...

I've been looking at doing the opposite, buying a vehicle in India and bringing it back here (driving probably). Doesn't seem that complex, bar getting through China...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom