Has anyone got a good source for genuine wings??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

harryk

Car
This and that..
Looking for a pair of genuine front wings for my 124- the dealer wants 205plus vat....

harryk said:
Looking for a pair of genuine front wings for my 124- the dealer wants 205plus vat....

That's about the rate. They'll fit, etc, and be to spec. My view is that you'll not save enough with pattern parts to warrant cheapening your car's history. Makes the car loved to subsequent owners.

The price is each. I've already spent about 1k on seals etc in preparation for the bodywork restoration (brakes, engine and suspension already done) and it's getting a genuine windscreen too. Just putting it out there before placing an order- who doesn't try to save a few quid?

ECP wings aren't bad...and they are doing them for £108 each.

Bear in mind that they now don't come with the side repeater indicator holes ready cut.
You've got to cut your own.

Andy

From the MOT TEST---
Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must be fitted with one side repeater indicator on each side. Instead of a separate lamp, the side repeater might be part of the front direction indicator if it includes a wraparound lens.

I would suggest the side repeaters might not be strictly necessary as they were not fitted to early models. [ if fitted they have to work of course]

I fitted non genuine for £26 + each + paintwork, and they fitted well, door and bonnet gaps good, you have to ask, does a '93 E class warrant spending £492 plus paint? your car, your choice.

here's a picture,

007_zps6c4abec5.jpg

On the genuine V pattern part issue perhaps its pertinent to point out that Mercedes themselves will have long ceased to produce wings for these obselete models, but will batch subcontract the work out to third parties anyway- albeit perhaps to higher standards/metal gauge. While its great to get the best this desire should be tempered by the overall condition of the car being worked on. Spending £410+paint/rustproofing on a pair of "genuine" wings may make sense on a £5,000 + coupe or estate but is questionable on an old saloon that might have a couple of "MOT trauma" free years left in it requiring more targeted priorities to keep running in the future?

epervier said:
I fitted non genuine for £26 + each + paintwork, and they fitted well, door and bonnet gaps good, you have to ask, does a '93 E class warrant spending £492 plus paint? your car, your choice. here's a picture,

Lovely car. Are those the original wings? From here they look... mmm .... Different ...

Lovely car. Are those the original wings? From here they look... mmm .... Different ...

I think, since he says he replaced the wings, and that they fitted well...that the photo is of the new wings. Just a guess.:doh:

Years ago I bought a pair of wings made by Hadrian, they were far better than most and didn't cost as much as Mercedes.

Hadrian went into administration and shut up shop a couple of years back.

Some of their warehouse racking (50mm x 5mm box section steel) miraculously turned into a set of rock sliders for my Land Cruiser when the site was being cleared.

Fair enough, shows how long it's been since I last had a 124

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom