Has Anyone Switched to Windows 11 Yet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dippo

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus ES
I've run the compatibility check, and my computer can run Windows 11. Microsoft tell me it's available for me to download and install. Should I do it?

My computer usage is relatively light (no work, no gaming), so I'm not sure I need to be an 'early adopter'. I've seen very little about it in the media, but the bits I've read seem to be about minor visual changes and adding Android apps (eventually). I'm sure it's much more complex that that beneath the surface! There don't seem to be any articles about it in the mainstream media.

Has anyone installed it yet, and is it worthwhile?

It's built on the Windows 10 platform so really it's just a newer build of Windows 10.

That said, it may well have a fair few features and may have a few bugs but I doubt anything like as buggy as 10 was when it first came out.

If your computer is compatible that will your best bet.

I've not tried it yet, personally or on any machines at work... none of the machines we have at home are compatible for kick-off.

The upgrade is free for 1 year so you have time if you do want to wait but I would definitely upgrade your machine in the first year... even if you decide to go back to Windows 10 because at least then you will have digital entitlement for Windows 11 later on.

Despite me having a relatively new Surface Pro, I can't upgrade as the processor isn't up to spec!!

Windows 10 it is then.

Computers or cars, I refuse to buy when they first come out to avoid being an unpaid Beta Tester.
Just ask any new VW group car owner about their infotainment software :(

I still ues my old Windows XP ,,but must work is done on the Windows 10 . I wont ever buy a Windows 11 .

I've installed Windows 11 on a "spare" laptop. It seems OK, but I'm just tinkering when I have time, not using it in anger. The changes seem mostly cosmetic, TBH (perhaps I'm missing something?).

Windows 10 will be supported until late 2025 anyway so it will be fine for another 4 years in terms of security patches being released.

After that it will become a liability, especially if you use your machine to browse the Web and host email on it in something like Outlook.

RonFleet I did check my computer first to see if i W11 would go on my machine . After i found a scan tool from Microsoft to see if my computer was capatable ,,,it was not .

The only machines that will be compatible with Windows 11 will be those around 5 years old or younger.

There are exceptions either way most likely but that is broadly the situation.

Its due to the TPM Chip needed for W11, its likely however they will remove this requirement in future.

Its due to the TPM Chip needed for W11, its likely however they will remove this requirement in future.
Hi, I believe you can bypass it now, but it's unlikely to ever be a supported configuration.

The general cut off is anything prior to 2018 is unlikely to be supported officially either.

I have an Intel laptop and an AMD desktop, neither have HVCI enabled and the desktop isn't yet configured as Secure Boot but Windows 11 is running fine on both. Largely cosmetic annoyances to W10 but seems to perform at least as well.

Also have W11 on my laptop and desktop, laptop first as less important, then desktop after accepting nothing bad had happened.

No issues at all, just like a W10 upgrade really, which I suppose is what it is. Nothing really to dislike about it, though the menus still take a bit of thinking about, and I've left most things alone after the upgrade, including the central taskbar which I've now got used to.

Thanks everyone. I'm getting a general sense of a lack of enthusiasm, which matches how I feel. It's definitely happening, so I've got to get used to it sometime, but I think I'll probably leave it until the new year when they may have sorted out any problems.

I have had to "upgrade" my Datacolor Spyder monitor calibration gadget (i.e., buy a new) as my old one is not supported on Windows 11. Not a big deal as the old one was ancient and the plastics were beginning to rot and become sticky.

Tweaked versions of Windows 11 where the TPM (security ) has been patched so as to allow use on older machines is available from many download sites.
I have used such sites now for years without problem.

Naughty but cheaper

Let me know when you have all finished M$ beta test program and it is a genuinely stable release please 👍

Microsoft, in their wisdom!, have decreed that only the eighth iteration of Intel core processors onwards (Such as i7-8600) will be compatible with Windows 11

I have a HP laptop that is still in Warrantry until September 2022 but it is classed as incompatible because the processor is i7-7600.

Maybe even more importantly, Microsoft has removed the ability to login locally to Windows 11. Any computer running Windows 11 has to login to Microsoft now. It's all part of the plan to make it necessary to pay an annual licence fee for Window like Microsoft 365 (Nee Office 365)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom