Has anyone taken the chrome side strips off the doors?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TeddyRuxpin

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2x E350 CDI Sport W212s... for a bit
Hi,

Has anyone done this? I'm very much a 'keep it OEM, silly' kind of guy, but I do think the side strips date the car a bit. I've noticed more modern (I have a pre-facelift W212 sport) E-classe, they don't have them. Also the E63 of this generation never had them.

They are just double side taped-on so relatively easy to remove.

Here are some pics I've nicked off the internet/another forum (sorry), the white car is before/after, the rest are with the strip removed.

Basically, I wanna do it, but I'm a big chicken because I'm not much of a car mod-er. Has anyone here done it? Would people be suspicious if looking at a car that had them removed?

My car is Palladium Silver, like the E63 in the last pic.

Cheers!

Ed

85d07702-ece5-4f76-acd5-7e0fd4679a8f.jpg4f753cb9-6d83-4986-9d65-bae6186b96cc.jpgnew Benz.jpg2010-mercedes-e63-amg_8.jpg112_2009_new_york_01z+2010_mercedes_benz_e63_AMG+rear_three_quarters_view.jpg

Hi
Personally I think they look better off and more modern.
If it’s stuck on then I’m sure they would be pretty easy to remove.
I would use a hair dryer to heat them up, once hot use some fishing line to remove them.
You can use a mild product to remove most of the sticky stuff which is left behind. Plenty of elbow grease and polish to finish it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi
Personally I think they look better off and more modern.
If it’s stuck on then I’m sure they would be pretty easy to remove.
I would use a hair dryer to heat them up, once hot use some fishing line to remove them.
You can use a mild product to remove most of the sticky stuff which is left behind. Plenty of elbow grease and polish to finish it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Took the words out off me mouth. :)
Took them of my E class coupe, exactly as Dragonalfa said, no problems, looks great. :D
20190818_140207.jpg

I’m not sure Teddy. I actually think they make the car look quite classy. I’ve just looked at our black pre facelift 212 and it looks like a “Mercedes” with the bonnet star and nice levels of chrome. I think the facelift car looks a bit slab sided without them.
Just my opinion though, many will think it’s looks better without.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom