Has anyone used Hypnotherapy to cure a problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ioweddie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
Just wondered if Hypnosis actually works, I have suffered with nervous tic's on and off all my life, recently I tried to do something about it as my facial tic of twitching my nose causes me embarrassment when talking to people face to face. I can control it for a while but all the tics are like an itch that needs to be scratched. My Gp has had me on a low dose anti depressant which does not appear to work, I've been to see the NHS Mental health team who also cannot help, the latest suggestion is Hypnosis, but I'm not a believer in it but wondered if anyone has had any success after seeing one.
Thanks Eddie

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by giving hypnosis a shot Eddie.
Hope it works for you.

Slightly different, but my father suffered excruciating migraines which were totally cured by two sessions of acupuncture. He was reluctant to try it but so glad he did.

Hypnosis can work for certain addictive behaviour- provided the person is really motivated to give it up. It has some success in smoking for example. However facial ticks can be a mild manifestation of something more serious related to Tourettes syndrome. Its doubtful if hypnosis would help if its that. It might however help you cope with it better on aday to day basis . Have you ever seen a neurologist and had a electroencephalogram (EEG) or electromyography (EMG) to see if there is a neurological cause for your problem?
This is not something your GP has the expertise to deal with. If the NHS can't help you may wish to arrange a private consulation with a sympathetic neurology consultant to eliminate any organic rather than psychological cause.

Hydroponic might work very well.

My son in law went to a hypnotherapist to help him give up smoking. That was six years ago and he hasn't smoked since. He said that cigarettes tasted foul after the sessions and he has absolutely no desire to smoke one again.

My son in law went to a hypnotherapist to help him give up smoking. That was six years ago and he hasn't smoked since. He said that cigarettes tasted foul after the sessions and he has absolutely no desire to smoke one again.

As per Wheelnuts, I also did the same with the same positive result.

I was not a believer till I tried it and it worked :thumb: but I guess it is also down to the skill of the hypnotist.

... but I guess it is also down to the skill of the hypnotist.

Yes, and also down to the nature of issue that the hypnotist is trying to fix, and down to the person being hypnotised.

As others said, it does not always work, but it often does, so well worth a try.

May I volunteer to accompany you, Eddie?

When you are deeply hypnotised, I promise not to suggest that you perform a paso double every time you see a something blue in colour :devil::D

I've finally plucked up the courage, I have an appointment with Den Clare on the Isle of Wight tomorrow at 2.15 If I wake up I'll let you know how it went and if it's worth the £70

I've finally plucked up the courage, I have an appointment with Den Clare on the Isle of Wight tomorrow at 2.15 If I wake up I'll let you know how it went and if it's worth the £70

Good luck. Please do post up your results/thoughts. I do hope it works for you. I think to try and go in with a positive attitude will only help here. I have heard many good stories about success with this treatment.

I've had hypnotherapy, but I can't post anything as I am feeling very sleepy and my eyes are getting heavy.

Well, I went, a very pleasant experience, very calming.
Basically after discussing the reasons for visit, I laid on a reclining chair and the process began with me closing my eyes as the hypnotist spoke softly and gently to me putting me in a relaxed state, I was aware of everything going on, as he gently talked me into thinking I was walking in warm sunshine to a lovely spot by a lake, as he said my body felt heavy but my right arm would become light and it started to raise slightly from the arm of the chair. He then continued to talk about my facial tic and said when I feel the need to do it I should concentrate on my right index finger and move it instead.
After a while (about 45 minutes he counted backward from 10-1 and I opened my eyes.
I felt strange but happy, he gave me a CD to play before going to sleep and I have to do this each night prior organising a further and final visit in about a weeks time ( but only if I feel it was beneficial). I feel a slight improvement but it the tic remains, I am going to use the CD for a week and then review the situation. All in all quite a useful exercise but not as yet convinced. I am quite a stressy person and he thinks if I can eliminate the anxiety I should be able to control the facial tics as I will be in a better place.
Only time will tell. Watch this space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom