Has Comic Relief achieved anything ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LTD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Polo GTi (and a travel pass for the train and subway)
£800 million over 25 years. Has anything changed for the better or is it just a media opportunity ...... ?

£800 million over 25 years. Has anything changed for the better or is it just a media opportunity ...... ?

Depends on what you call changing for the better, saving countless lives in Africa? Making vulnerable people in the UK lives easier?

Do you you genuinely want to know or do you have a pre-concieved idea or agenda? Sounds like you've already made up your mind.

It has paid for quite a few dictators and warlords to kill many innocent people and villages to be wiped out. And for their solders to be fed and treated with food and medicine meant for the starving.

A vast majority of the aid sent gets diverted and stolen by forces with no humanitarian interests at all.

Very sad but true and the reason I don't give a penny. :ban:

It may have made some lives happier in this country but as far as parts of Africa is concerned its akin to peeing in the wind. You'll never improve life over there until you start a decent birth control program so the population is manageable. Every year they dig up Lenny Henry, the most unfunny and racist bloke on TV which ensures I spend the night watching satellite telly

WARNING - grumpy man thread

(it's the week-end and it's raining - is there a correlation?)

Depends on what you call changing for the better, saving countless lives in Africa? Making vulnerable people in the UK lives easier?

Do you you genuinely want to know or do you have a pre-concieved idea or agenda? Sounds like you've already made up your mind.

I've no pre-conceived idea or agenda.

I'm genuinely interested. £800m is a lot of money.

I once saw on an billboard at a railway station years ago;

"Oxfam - now twenty five years old and half the world is still starving!"

So, you have to wonder if all the money in the world will ever fix global problems such as starvation, disease, and all other forms of child and adult early mortality.

I'm not knocking all the efforts by such as Oxfam, Rednose Days etc but I just sometimes think, will they will never win? :dk:

I'm not knocking all the efforts by such as Oxfam, Rednose Days etc but I just sometimes think, will they will never win? :dk:

Poor people from rich country donate to rich people from poor country

You will note that the the first and foremost positive effect of a charity donation is on the giver, and this is why we do it. It is important to be able to give, and it benefits the donor as much as the recipient.

It has paid for quite a few dictators and warlords to kill many innocent people and villages to be wiped out. And for their solders to be fed and treated with food and medicine meant for the starving.

A vast majority of the aid sent gets diverted and stolen by forces with no humanitarian interests at all.

Very sad but true and the reason I don't give a penny. :ban:

And they`re buying their ammo, grenades and sticking plasters from us?

Yep, in fear of not doing something 100% correct we should do nothing.
That's the spirit!

"the best or nothing" - I now know what this means ;)

It gives a bunch of whiney do-gooders a massive sense of self-importance, and desperate 'slebs' some TV exposure, which seems to be its main raison d'etre

This thread has potential.

Potential for the **** stirrers to have a field day.

It's a wet week-end - at least a 15 pager I say.

I really can't believe some inane comment's that are appearing on this forum. Very disappointed.

I little bit of compassion, gentlemen please.

The money donated does not go anywhere near any of the corrupt politicians.

"The so called self important people " Who else do you think is going to present the show ? Lets go down the local supermarket and recruit some of the shoppers.

Post 4 You should take away the T from your name.

Last edited:
As always, generalising will produce general views, far removed from the action at the coalface.

If my money goes to help a specific project that helps a specific person/people in dire need, then Im happy.

I believe that it does - there have been many examples, shown over the years, where the donations have benefitted people.

i can't say none of the funds go adrift - it's a big world, but, on balance, I'd say it's been a good thing.

Incoming generalisations expected.

I understand the thought process behind it, but when did the phrase 'do-gooder' become a term of abuse?

Is doing good not a good thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom