Has it been serviced?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wouldn't worry too much about the six month interval if it is running on the same oil, but watch the dealer like a hawk. They have canny ways of scamming money out of us with ridiculous extras that we don't always need.

12 month warranty, but according to the recently reset ;) service indicator that will take me nicely back to my trusted mobile MB mechanic.

He mentioned the fact that the car had been given paint protection for free. Again, don't believe it but will ask for the relevant paperwork.

The only thing I did go for was alloy wheel insurance. Three year cover comes in at about £280, and that included up to 18 repairs. They will get damaged, so I didn't reckon that was a bad price.

Be a bit wary of third party insurances. My MB dealer tried to sell me Chip and Dent insurance but I discovered that if I claim for any chips and dents, I have to by law inform my primary insurer who could raise my premiums even though the claim is not being handled by them.

Check the small print and ask your primary insurer if this would affect future premiums, or void your insurance if you don't notify them of every claim you make on your alloy wheel policy.

Worth checking out before you get stung. Oh, and don't ask the dealer selling you the policy, because they will only tell you what they want you to hear.

Tried to get the oil filter off today, no joy as it was completely solid and didn't want to damage the housing with a standard oil filter wrench. Any top tips?

I doubt the oil filter is going to tell you much as its likely to be as black as the oil....as has been said new oil in a diesel will be black the moment you start the engine as it mixes with the left over oil in the sump and oil ways.

Seriously though, this has been discussed ad infinitum over the last 25 years on forums when it comes to diesels, the moment you turn the the engine over the oil and filter will look like a petrol that has done 10,000 miles.

Seriously though, this has been discussed ad infinitum over the last 25 years on forums when it comes to diesels, the moment you turn the the engine over the oil and filter will look like a petrol that has done 10,000 miles.

It was news to me, though. Petrol's clearly different. I checked over an elderly relative's car in the States this summer that had done over 159k. The service was due but the oil (changed every six months) looked almost fresh.

It's not that a diesel engine in it's first few seconds of operation blackens new oil instantly just that soot is such an effective dye that a small residue of old oil left after draining is enough to make the new oil look black as soon as the old and new are mixed together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom