Has the World gone mad?

• Thread starter Deleted member 150136
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ll happily bow to your technical understanding of this subject.

Whilst it will be as secure as they can make it, a teenage hacker managed to penetrate US defence systems from his bedroom, who’s to say the more advanced technos can’t do something to mess things up?

I’m just thinking that whenever there’s a lot of money involved, there’s always someone, somewhere looking for a way to get their hands on it or simply to create problems to satisfy their own egos.
It’s not hard to imagine that there’s a Russian hacking team looking at how to crack/exploit Bitcoin as we ’speak’...

It’s not hard to imagine that there’s a Russian hacking team looking at how to crack/exploit Bitcoin as we ’speak’...
Reminds me ...2011 just moved to Brisbane (Oz) ....Bitcoin just starting to get known. I suggested to the wife that I get $100 of bitcoins (I think you actually had to mine them back then). She said yep, good idea. I didn't. 10 years later I'm still hearing about it.....from her.....:(

I suppose they do , but I don't often sit and chat with old French or Greek blokes, but having similar conversations (opinions :) ) chatting with blokes in South Africa , USA ,Canada and Australia in English a good old opinion can often be shared without being called a 'moaner'. just my experience.
I lived in Oz for 8 years and they call the English "whinging poms" but I found them to be the biggest wingers I've ever come across (apologies to my many (possibly a few less now:() Australian friends).

I do find that us foreigners from the colonies (SA in particular) tend to be more likely to speak our minds. Generally, we don't intend to offend, just a bit too direct - get it said and done.

There was a time when we joked that if you tied a Greek, Italian, Frenchman's...hand's behind their backs, they would not be able to hold a conversation. Public speaking class these days must be emphasising the use of hands and gestures. People seem unable to speak without using their hands.

I think old man grumpiness is more about not caring what others think......however my wife is doing a hell of a lot of shouting at the telly these days. She has become grumpy under lockdown and I hide in my study to avoid getting caught in the crossfire.

Last edited by a moderator:
So a guy sends a car into space.
It's open top to let no fresh air in with a fully suited not real astronut sat in the 'drivers' seat, and not listening to the same music track on a loop because he can't being not real.

Same guy spends $1.5 billion on something that doesn't exist.
But it might well be worth a lot more soon, because millions of other 'umans will buy the non existent stuff because he bought it.
This guy has proven intelligence as he can send a road vehicle into space where there are no roads and so people trust in his business acumen.

How you buy something that doesn't exist is cleverer than I can understand so he is far more cleverer than me.

Soon this guy will sell his stuff, that he doesn't have because it 'aint there and a few million other 'umans will lose lots of money as their purchase will be less valuable, even if they didn't have it anyway. What ever it was will be less than the nothing they bought by then.

It would seem that madness is just a perception.
Dot com crash 2001.....All those listed companies that never actually had any real assets.....bubble had to burst. Was a sad time for me. On paper, I was a wealthy guy (share options from my employers). Upside was that I treated the shares like that (on paper) and never purchased anything I could not afford out of my 'real money'. Several of my colleagues got their fingers badly burned.

Reminds me ...2011 just moved to Brisbane (Oz) ....Bitcoin just starting to get known. I suggested to the wife that I get $100 of bitcoins (I think you actually had to mine them back then). She said yep, good idea. I didn't. 10 years later I'm still hearing about it.....from her.....:(
Read similar the other day, some guy took some photos/did artwork or something for the guys who were pushing bitcoin back in the day, they paid him in bitcoin. His computer and it's drives gone to the scrapyard long ago. he has no idea where they might be.

In distributed systems this is typically a reason you can trick them .....
Generally yes, but due to how Blockchain works, not in this instance.
It is hard to comprehend it was pretty much the work of one person....apparently.

Generally yes, but due to how Blockchain works, not in this instance.

Trouble is that I thnk people assume that connectivity is reliable.

I have had to deal with systems that separate off the internet for periods. And these days that means stuff breaks - sometimes badly and sometimes very mysteriously (obscure dependencies). I don't expect blockchain to work any better 'out of the box'. And that's without any actual attack - opportunist or planned.

The digital world is more fragile than many realise.

Trouble is that I thnk people assume that connectivity is reliable.

I have had to deal with systems that separate off the internet for periods. And these days that means stuff breaks - sometimes badly and sometimes very mysteriously (obscure dependencies). I don't expect blockchain to work any better 'out of the box'. And that's without any actual attack - opportunist or planned.

The digital world is more fragile than many realise.
I think the point with blockchain is that it doesn't matter.
The basic infrastructure has proven to be resilient.

The main issue with Bitcoin and other crypto currencies is how much energy is being used to 'mine' them.

Last edited:
I think the point with blockchain is that it doesn't matter.
The basic infrastructure has proven to be resilient.

I think what you actually mean is that infrastructure hasn't had a meaningful attack by a state operator or motivated and resourced group.

That doesn't prove that it is resilient.

I think I heard that some hospitals/healthcare units have renamed breast feeding to 'chest feeding' . I do hope I heard that wrong.
I heard that too, apparantly its the transgender lobby yet again putting pressure on the NHS and somehow getting their minority views imposed on the majority.......madness!. How can you chest feed? You need breasts to feed a baby and only females have them.

And if one of those birthing parents happens to have a dark skin they’re four times more likely to be treated badly in the maternity units according to today’s news. A black lady was on TV this morning telling us that she was mistreated because of her colour; her mistreatment was not being given everything she demanded.
Playing the victim card gets column inches these days.

I think what you actually mean is that infrastructure hasn't had a meaningful attack by a state operator or motivated and resourced group.
No that wasn’t my intention and I don’t think it is a resource issue tbh.
I’d need an example of how you think that would work to consider it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom