Has towing shagged my auto box!??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zakh

Banned
hi guys,

i was towed home last night by the rac...
average speed was about 35mph and all four wheels where on the ground...it was in neutral...we travelled about 5 miles in total...

i have been told my mercedes that this may have caused extensive damage to the gear box...is this true???

obviously the rac have accepted liability.

in your experience does towing the car cause this kind of damage...

many thanks...

Zak

I was always told it's a bad idea to tow autos like this and you should raise the drive wheels. I don't know what kind of damage can occur though.
The RAC should know not to do it though

The rear wheels should always be lifted off the ground when towing on a traditional MB auto...

MB clearly state this in all their manuals.

I would take this up with RAC and bill/invoice them for any damage and defnitely report it to them so that there is a record of this. It is RAC's negligence.

When I stupidly put unleaded in my C220 (5 speed auto diesel) whilst in York I got a friend to tow me home with a straight bar.

Approx 20 miles at 30 mph - oh yes and a HUGE trail of cars behind me :eek:

That was over a year ago and never had a hint of a problem so hopefully you'll actually be ok . . .

HTH

I had a 230E (W124) a few years ago. The AA towed me back home which was about 4 miles away. He told me that as long as its less than 10 miles and driving slow it should not matter.

As far as I know it sustained no damage whatsoever. I subsequently sold it and the new driver still has no problems withthe gear box and its probably close to 180k on the clock now.

When the engine is not running the oil pump in the auto box is not pumping oil around and as such can cause damage. However, short distances may be ok, I cant believe the RAC, or who ever they sub contracted it to did not know that.

zakh said:
i have been told my mercedes that this may have caused extensive damage to the gear box...is this true???

I think the operative word here is 'may have'

Why was your vehicle towed in the first place?

Towing any automatic with the drive wheels still on the ground is not advisable.

I cannot believe though that the RAC would accept full responsibility. What's to stop you from fitting a defective gearbox, then claiming for a new item?

John

Except

dava said:
When the engine is not running the oil pump in the auto box is not pumping oil around and as such can cause damage. However, short distances may be ok, I cant believe the RAC, or who ever they sub contracted it to did not know that.
Except when the box has an oil pump driven by the output shaft and not the input shaft

Read a W124 manual and I think you'll find this is the case and you can even bump-start them. I haven't tried it....

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

My understanding is short distances / low speeds is fine.

If I have this correct, the torque converter output shaft will be driven by virtue of its direct connection to the rear wheels. This will cause the oil in the converter to heat up and the pump wont be working to move the oil and keep it cool.

But over a short distance and at slow speed, the heat dissipation isn't a problem, hence the general rule of thumb for autos: max 30mph for 5 - 10 miles.

My BMW 5 series was towed 12 miles at 35mph by the AA four years ago. I did another 40,000 miles on it and the new owner has added another 2 years and 40,000 miles (total now at 150,000). It is still going strong.

Philip

zakh said:
glojo said:
I think the operative word here is 'may have'
...that's two words...:p

Cobblers!

The manual specificly states you can be towed for a maximum of 30 miles (50km) at a maximum speed of 30 mph.

I needed a tow from the AA last year and was a bit uneasy but the boy showed me his own documentation as well as page 108 in my manual.

del320 said:
I needed a tow from the AA last year and was a bit uneasy but the boy showed me his own documentation as well as page 108 in my manual.

A couple of years ago when SWMBO realised that she had not filled up the 190 with petrol (fortunately 4 country miles from home & 3.5 from a friendly garage) I had the same conversation with the AA guy. He was of course correct:crazy:

del320 said:
...that's two words...:pl.

:D :D Ouch!! The operative words here :)

Good spotting.

I think if I were offered the choice of to tow, or not to tow :) That is the question.

Then I would choose my toe, sorry tow.

I am even more baffled about "obviously the rac have accepted liability"

Regards,
John

bolide said:
Except when the box has an oil pump driven by the output shaft and not the input shaft

Read a W124 manual and I think you'll find this is the case and you can even bump-start them. I haven't tried it....

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

This applies to the 722.4 box but not the 722.6 which has no auxillary hydraulic pump on the tail shaft.

glojo said:
I am even more baffled about "obviously the rac have accepted liability"

Regards,
John

I suspect they mean that IF the gearbox proves to be knackered and an engineer dictates it is due to towing.

I don't think there will be a problem as only the tail shaft of the box will have been rotating as no clutch packs can engage as there is no hydraulic pressure.

Dieselman said:
I suspect they mean that IF the gearbox proves to be knackered and an engineer dictates it is due to towing.
I'm with you on this, it would be down to the aggrieved to supply an engineers report that would specifically state that the cause of damage was as a direct result of being towed on that specific date and at that specific time by the RAC vehicle!

Not an easy task weeks after the event, especially if the vehicle has been moved from the location it was towed to?

I am merely querying the blanket admission of responsibility.

I can understand the RAC confirming they towed the vehicle from A to B, but nothing else?

zakh has not said 'IF', he states, "obviously the rac have accepted liability."

Regards,
John

As Lotusmark2 can tell you when my 260E blew an ECU the RAC came to my rescue, sort of :rolleyes: I asked them to tow my car 8 miles to the nearest Mb Dealer. They point blank refused!! When the long gone Shed (200T) broke down in Bolton once again the RAC were called. They once again point blank refused to tow my car. On both occasions I showed them the relevant page in my owners book and told them it was ok. They, in return showed me theirs. They are not allowed to tow a Mercedes Automatic. So my question is. Did the RAC tow the car and has anyone got anything in writting re liability? I apologise if this offends anyone but I do find it strange, from my experiences only, that the RAC would do this and then hold their hands up to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom