Has your attitude towards the 'yoof' changed in the last week or so ?

Has your opinion of the 'yoof' changed in the last week or so ?

• Yes - For the better

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Yes - For the worse

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • No - I don't think it has changed my view

Votes: 43 86.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LTD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Polo GTi (and a travel pass for the train and subway)
In light of the recent spate of rioting / looting and general unlawfulness, has your opinion of the 'yoof' altered as a result ?

In light of the recent spate of rioting / looting and general unlawfulness, has your opinion of the 'yoof' altered as a result ?

It turned out to be not just youths, but people of all ages, and all colours and all backgrounds all with one thing in common - greed.

No, but its changed my attitude towards the ability of this counties population to behave in a fit and proper manner.

We're a nation dominated and terrorised by louts!!!

Not really. There are enough honest, decent and capable young people around. The actions of a few morons doesn't change that.

No, I still think they are lazy, self centered, louts, that expect to be given everything because they "deserve it". The last 7 days havent changed my veiws or opinions, but it did make me ashamed to be british.:(

And these are the veiws of a 24 year old. :eek:

So who made the youth of today what it is ?

I'm with Colin_b - there are a great many wonderful youngsters in this country, and if they can learn from the mistakes of my generation they could make this a great country once again.

I employ teenagers and the good news for you out there is that the vast majority are honest, the bad news is the majority are also know-all, feckless, lazy sods who think the world owes them the right to an opinion. You can tell the good from the bad even at 13 years old.
The majority of parents let their children down by trying to be their friends rather than their guardians. Nine out of ten you can retrain with a little effort and a carrot and stick approach, into becoming useful members of society who think for themselves and know that effort and hardwork are the key to getting on in life.
Despite the vast majority of people resenting the nanny state, the powers that be should get involved in teaching potential parents how to be responsible parents.

One bad egg in a small community can be catered for, the problems arise when large numbers of bad eggs are grouped together in the same area.

as a 29 year old (30 next saturday..) and an ex marine, i firmly believe in bringing in a form of national service.

now don't for one second start thinking i'm sending our dear little cherubs out to iraq to fight.... no i'm thinking we need things guarding over here... like faslane nuclear sub command.

lets get the little s**ts involved, indoctrinated and instilled with a bit of national pride...

i'll tell you a brief, and yet true story.

i was 16 years old, and i was caught trying to steal a car, when the local bobby (note the lack of those officers) who had known me all my life caught me... i (being the kid who knew everything) said "you can't do me i'm going to the forces.

he then said "i'll pop round yours tomorrow...and if i don't see papers.. you'll get done"

the next day i went and signed up, BEST thing i've ever done in my life.

it made me a man, and to be honest a little national service will instill the same pride and determination that i had beaten... i mean instillied into me, into some of these little so and so's

honestly, with uni fees going to 9k a year, why not offer them 3 yrs national service.. in exchange for which the army/navy/air force/marines will pay for your university education?

i'm sorry, but living i a country full of people who all have served... isn't such a bad idea.

is it?

honestly, with uni fees going to 9k a year, why not offer them 3 yrs national service.. in exchange for which the army/navy/air force/marines will pay for your university education?

i'm sorry, but living i a country full of people who all have served... isn't such a bad idea.

is it?

If that ever happened in this country, I would emigrate.

My children will never fight another mans war, like Iraq or Afghanistan.

If we were being invaded then I'd be first in line to pick up a gun, but to think that a bit of national service is going to cure society's ills is potty.

If that ever happened in this country, I would emigrate.

My children will never fight another mans war, like Iraq or Afghanistan.

If we were being invaded then I'd be first in line to pick up a gun, but to think that a bit of national service is going to cure society's ills is potty.
I agree entirely with this.

Those of us old to enough to remember, should think back to the 50s/ 60s and the "good old days" when Teddy Boys carried flick knives and had razor blades sewn sewn into the lapels of their jackets. A little later on it was Mods and Rockers causing mayhem everywhere they went , then Skinheads,Punks, Football fans ,etc. Many of my neighbours shunned me when i bought a Lambretta as they assumed (wrongly ) that i was a drug taking hooligan .
It is easy to generalise about young people ,but i do not think that teenagers were behind much of the planning of the riots . It is also a sad indictment of their parents that they do not/cannot keep their kids off the streets at such times. My children , now aged 33,30 and 28 were no angels ,and were all "grounded " during their late teens for various misdemeanours ,but none were violent or thieves. Incidentally , they have a rather poor opinion of the latest "yoof" generation.

I don't think the idea of National Service is a bad one but not in terms of the armed forces. How about everybody leaving school has to do a years service for their country in return for 'pocket money' from the government.
They could do 4 months of care in the community type work wether it's the elderly, infirm or people who need 'help' from the system, another 4 months doing manual work in the community along the lines of litter picking, urban renewal schemes etc. and the last four months doing the forces type of training without the weapons, to teach them how to look after themselves in terms of health, domestic chores and money management etc.
Most kids just need direction and something along these lines will help them learn to look after themselves and give them perspective on how others live.

It hasn't changed my view of the " Youf " of today which was pretty poor anyway. :( As a society we have failed them in their formative years. I am not blaming the teaching profession for this because that's inaccurate. It's what they have been taught or picked up from all sources in society be it parents----the media [ BIG BIG blame here :mad::mad:] teachers politicians etc and after several years of education many of the present generation have not been helped/instructed in the following:- [ notice these aren't facts and figures to memorise :confused: they are the basic skills on how to cope with living in society :doh:]

How to read and write.
How to cope with failure
How to apply yourself repeatedly to a task till you succeed. Merely going through the motions is NOT enough.:wallbash:
How the acquisition of material goods is not necessarily the road to happiness.
How Appearance isn't everything
How Altruism can work both ways. Helping others may help you
How work is not merely a means to make money- it has other benefits.
Listen to what older people may tell you- they have already made the mistakes you are about to.
How what matters is self respect not necessarily the respect of others.:thumb:

If these fundamental societal realities have not been instilled in them by their mid teenage years its going to be hard road ahead for them and for the rest of us. :dk:

What I saw was a group of people 'onegroup of the little love aimed kerb stones at my head as i I drove past though I'm glad to say ymissed and only took out my partol vehicle rear windows', who think they should be able to have everything they want just because they exist.

Just like them I cant afford a 4 grand flat screen TV and I accept that.

To blame the Goverment that you cant afford a 4 grand TV and use that as an excuss for stealing one is beyond me!
l
Anyhows I'm off to work, cant post the pic of my motor 'written off due to the panel damage', as we have been warned not too.

It hasn't changed my opinion - and this is anecdotal but...

I believe there has always been a percentage of scum throughout, which has increased due to the increase in population in the country.

If you are a ****, you are a **** whatever background, culture, etc. you are from and however old you are.

The reasons why this is - who knows. Maybe low intelligence, bad parenting, perceived hardship, alcohol, drugs... I'm sure there are a plethora of reasons...

What we saw a week ago was an event which happened, which I don't doubt made some people very angry in the heat of the moment.

This, I believe, was shortlived and suddenly escalated into a (not exclusively) 'I can get some stuff for free here and not get caught' and 'I can smash some stuff up in real life like I do in GTA without getting caught', and probably a handful of other agendas, which then multiplied up via various methods into a general perceived 'free for all' - of which not a massive number of people took part but enough to cause a lot of problems.

I don't think youth are any different now than they have been certainly over the last handful of decades.

Indeed I can remember ****s at my old school throughout the 80s and early 90s. We all remember ****s at school who were constantly in trouble and eventually got expelled.

These kids have grown up and now are adults - and have either fallen into line or still cause trouble - some of whom were probably out making up the rest of the 'it isn't just youths rioting' demographic.

They have been replaced by younger ****s and the cycle goes on.

My cure?

I think incarceration. I don't believe in the death penalty these days.

I think decent society deserves to live without these ****s and so make prisons more efficient and more automated with less 'facilities'.

Then incarcerate anyone who works against the system - whether it be a 3 strikes and you are out, or just 1 chance etc.

I don't give a monkey's if rehabilition works or not - incarceration is for the greater good and our benefit - not yours.

They cannot commit the crime if they are not able to...

While I think of it - probably another difference now is the discipline you had in schools and from the police has gone and now kids are protected and the scummy ones know they cannot be touched.

There really is no deterrent - especially when you look at all the lilly-livered punishments being handed out left, right and centre in society.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom