Hastings Direct Warning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rf065

MB Enthusiast
Car
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Anyone thinking of buying insurance from Hastings Direct?
I did after a search on various comparison sites came up with them as one of the cheapest quotes, I'd also ticked the box that only considered policies offering European cover as we were planning a trip to France & Spain.

Well checking the policy today and the European cover is only the legal minimum, i.e. third party. A quick phone call and it transpires that they want another £88 to give me fully comp insurance for a 13 day trip in Europe.

And better still, if we go to Europe again before the policy ends next year, we would have to pay again for European cover as the £88 is for this trip only.

Certainly my one and only time with Hastings Direct, once bitten twice shy etc!

Russ

unfortunately these internet comparison websites have meant that the insurers have stripped out all the frills in order to be at the top of the rankings.

Third party European cover is compulsory with every uk insurance policy regardless what the insurance company may claim.

unfortunately these internet comparison websites have meant that the insurers have stripped out all the frills in order to be at the top of the rankings.

I agree, but if they advertise European cover with a fully comp policy, they should also state that it will only be 3rd party and not hide it in the policy documents. Very underhand I think.

Russ

Even if it is included as fully comprehensive it is usually only for a limited time. I have looked into this extensively as our 124 lives outside the UK most of the year. The only ones I have found with unrestricted comprehensive EU cover as standard are NFU mutual and Stuart Collins - a broker who has a special policy with AXA. Oddly enough the quotes for us are much the same or less than those offering just minimum 3rd party cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom