hate runflats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

magic77

Well the curse of runflats continues

7mm F1 RFT and it has a large bump growing on the side. So thats £200 down the drain.

Going to switch to non RFT but first need to sort out a spare.

I have tried a space saver from a w245 on my w246 and sods law the caliper rubs against the steel wheel inside.

Just wondering if anyone knows if using a shim/spacer disc will be ok with space saver. I found some 5mm for £10 so the OEM bolts should still be fine but will allow me to put the wheel under the floor in the boot and have full protection.

hi still waiting for my w246 amg to arrive but have seen others using a 5mm spacer, and cutting the boot floor to fit a space saver works ok. at the mo im driving a w245 with space saver in the boot, so will prob transfer to new car.

thats exactly what I did. Turns out a space save from the previous gen Blcass just fits over the front brake calipers if used with a s 5mm spacer.

Then just case of removing the tow eye tray and grinding off couple of welded studs. ALso you will need to remove and trim the lip that the boot floor clips in. Means unless you have the vario floor with the higher position you loose ability to clip shut the floor. Small price to have a spacer saver.

Did exactly this and found Falken 453 /452s where heaven. Actually made the B drive as it should over the bad uk roads. Not mention all the rattles went away

I see a lot of people doing this kinda thing now and getting shod of their Runflats.

Had a lady come in a while back in near tears as she had just forked out £200 for a new Runflat tyre on her Mini a week ago, got a nail in the middle of it and BMW would only replace the tyre for another £200. Same story with Kwik-Fit and ATS.

£12 later she was a very happy bunny.

Well the curse of runflats continues

7mm F1 RFT and it has a large bump growing on the side. So thats £200 down the drain.

Going to switch to non RFT but first need to sort out a spare.

I have tried a space saver from a w245 on my w246 and sods law the caliper rubs against the steel wheel inside.

Just wondering if anyone knows if using a shim/spacer disc will be ok with space saver. I found some 5mm for £10 so the OEM bolts should still be fine but will allow me to put the wheel under the floor in the boot and have full protection.

If it has a bump on the side then why? and seemingly a nearly new tyre is it not a warranty issue with the tyre supplier.

hi dont know if you have tried those 5mm spacers, but have heard they can throw your wheel out of balance if not fitted correctly, im going to have a spacer made.

Fitting a hub centric spacer will be fine since your using a metal wheel -V- an alloy but you will also need to replace the studs for shorter ones.

RFT tyres have their place in sociality, my wife for example has a hip and knee replacement so i bought her a car purely because of the RFT tyres, nevertheless i did have a heated argument with Bridgestone tyres regarding puncture repairs... Their take on RFT tyres is they cannot be repaired regardless of the position of the injury? My question was "why".. Reply was since the sidewall is armoured it cannot be inspected correctly unless it has an X-ray.... What a load of tosh!... I added this, ok then let's assume i do repair the tyre and the repair fails what is the worst that could happen..... silence prevailed so i answered, the worst that could happen is the RFT tyre would do exactly as designed and "RUN ON FLAT"!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom