Have a listen to my water pump---Is this normal? Can this be remedied?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martin_sv

Car
E350cdi Coupe 2012, R230 Sl350 2003 + CLK 320CDi ( will be putting it up for sale)
Hi, as per subject line. Took my serpentine belt off my r230 sl 350 (M112) to investigate a revs related whining noise. Discovered my P steering fluid was low so topped up and seems to have reduced it significantly. Thought I'd also check the tensioner /idler/alternator and water pump by spinning and listening and apart from slightly rattly idler wheel I found a definite squeek from the water pump. Can't find a way to embed my water pump.mp3 file to be playable within a browser but you can download the tiny 10 second mp3 file here: ( a direct link to wiki downloads site)
Upload Files, MP3, Music. Free File Hosting To Share Files.
Can be opened with any of your installed media players eg windows media player
It's almost comical! Remember it's not as loud as the recording---my phone mic was right next to the pulley. It still seems noisy for a seal though---it isn't some kind of venting noise by any chance, I know pumps have a bleed hole. The bearing feels fine no roughness and no wobble on the shaft. What do you thinK?

Should just add that you can ignore the log in section just click on "download this file" and water pump.mp3 should appear for you to save:rolleyes:

Usually water pumps need replacing when they start squeeling. I didn't listen to your sound clip but the noise will only get worse then the pump will leak. I don't think there are any serviceable parts to be bought either. Normally it's a high pitch squeek constant or occasional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom