Have I bought a lemon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marquisofraspberry

Car
C270 cdi Estate 2002, C220 cdi Estate 2004
E320 CDI 2005 120k, picked it up last Saturday it's got a "battery protection" message keeps coming up, there is a pump/compressor noise from behind the dash to the right of the steering wheel area which I don't suppose I should be able to hear, and now the gearbox has done something odd, feels like the torque converter has gone as loads of revs and very little forward motion. Switched off and it reset itself. All this in 500 miles. It's currently back with the garage, a main agent Mitsubishi dealer so currently in a L200 truck. What thoughts from the Gurus re the issues?

Battery protection.

You will need to give the battery a full charge, use the car as you would do and see if the message still appears.

I had something similar happen with the drive on mine when the battery went flat because the generator had packed up. Recharging the battery only worked till it went flat again. In the end I forked out for a new generator, and it wasn't cheap. Since then the drive has worked as per normal. I don't know why the drive should be affected by a flat battery, but perhaps it's because the pumps for the belts inside the automatic gearbox are partially electrically assisted, so they struggle to engage properly without any electrical help.

Battery protection.

You will need to give the battery a full charge, use the car as you would do and see if the message still appears.
On Saturday when I picked the car up, I did a 160 mile trip to Exeter the warning message came up three or four times. On Sunday again 160 back home same message about 3-4 times again. I would have thought the battery was fully charged by then. Dealer said they will remove batteries charge them and check alternator to see if it's fried.

I reckon the garage will sort it for you, little bit of hardship appreciated but hopefully they’ll sort it and for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just have the batteries checked and see when they were last replaced, very likely they are past their best and need changed.

Re the gearbox issue and the revs rising without gaining speed, yes, a possible torque convertor problem.
Really needs a MB tech to diagnose with Star and read the current and stored codes.

An update on the possible Lemon. The car came back from the garage and the battery issues are all sorted, no warning messages. However the gearbox did the same thing, after a run down the motorway, got to the exit and had to stop at the junction, pulled away and loads of revs and not much forward motion. Switched off and on again, back to normal. I've taken the car back to the dealer and await their call, they were going to change transmission oil and filter. Despite them being a Mitsubishi main dealer one of their mechanics was with Mercedes for 10 years so hopefully he knows what he is doing. After 19 days of ownership I've only had the car in my possession 8 days.

If they’re changing the transmission oil and filter make sure they also change the mechatronic switch and use all genuine parts.
Stick with it mate, I know it’s frustrating but it looks like they’re sorting it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good dealer for sure.

If there are not winning request them to send it to M B for a full diagnostic check. I bought one from hurst a few yrs back which they kept trying to repair , but to be fair after the 3rd time they booked it in to the main dealer and asked me to take it there at there expense of course.
They fixed it by the following afternoon.

Good to hear of an honest car dealership, especially in view of the age of the car, good luck with it

An update, still having intermittent issues with the gearbox. It usually manifests itself when pulling off the motorway. I get to the end of the slip road and if I have to stop, it's when I pull away again that there's loads of revs but very little forward motion. Switching the ignition off and back on again clears this. The gearbox oil and filter have been changed a couple of weeks ago. The garage have said that no faults are stored not even non gearbox related, I find this hard to believe as there is clearly a glow plug problem that appears on the dash. When the car is cold, it is a little un Mercedes like when I get to the end of my lane and have to slow to a stop, the box changes down a little harshly.

I've asked the dealer whether they used STAR or not to diagnose the issue, waiting to hear from them.

Well it appears to have given up the ghost altogether, car is now stuck in first gear and no amount of switching off and on will sort it.

Get your money back ASAP, under sale of goods act, car not fit for purpose, any problems go to trading standards

I've done 2300 miles in it and the garage are saying they will reduce figure by 40 pence per mile for wear and tear. On to the credit card company to do a section 75, hopefully all money back. It went faulty four days into ownership and has been back to them twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom