Have I started a trend? :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSM10000

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
MX5 1.8 Sport, Range Rover 5.0 SC, BMW X1
Since acquiring the MX5 a short time back we have had a number of friends visit and stay over. Out of 4 couples 3 are now actively looking for a soft top for summer!

All liked the MX5 , found it easy to drive and found it took them back to their youth (damn good memories some people have:D)

One is looking for an equivalent MX5, the others are undecided but I think an Alfa Spider in red is looking to be favourite for one because " they just look gorgeous", for the other couple, well they loved the Mazda but thought it needed more power so are looking at a Z4 or Boxster.I think the Mazda has a perfect amount of power to weight and the balance is so much better than an Alfa or the others but each to their own.

I have to say that the Boxster has never been a car I wished to own although having driven two I can appreciate the engineering and handling, what I would not want are the potentially large expenses that can come in later years. The Z4 whilst well made and competent does feel a little "detached" and a little too civilisied although the 3 litre is certainly a lot of fun.

As a matter of interest, if you had to choose one of these which would it be?

My ideal would be the looks/ body of the Spider and the engineering and build of the Mazda but with rear wheel drive!

The Boxster, though I understand your reasoning against. I am not sure the MX5 is better balanced or handles sweeter than the Porsche, which is commonly regarded as the market leading 2 seater roaster at pretty much any price.

I would have thought you get nearer the upper echelons of the MX-5's ability though on public roads.

The Boxster, though I understand your reasoning against. I am not sure the MX5 is better balanced or handles sweeter than the Porsche, which is commonly regarded as the market leading 2 seater roaster at pretty much any price.

I would have thought you get nearer the upper echelons of the MX-5's ability though on public roads.

I completely agree that the Porsche is a more developed car with superior dynamics overall but, as you righly pointed out with regards to the Mazda, it is easier and therefore to me at least, more fun to drive on the roads as it's limits are lower and more readily explored at lower speed.:D

Mx5

Good choice.

Lovely little car everything MG's should have been (reliability wise).

Replace the T-belt and they give little trouble,
get a pop up headlight MkI, just so you can pop up the head lights for those looking to buy one.

:)

Every time I see a Boxter I'm shocked at how wide they appear. Are they that wide in practice?

None of the above - I'd have (read I have) a 968 cabriolet, my preference being tiptronic but "purists" may prefer a manual. Failing that I'd have a 944S2 cabriolet or, if you could afford a good one, a 944 turbo cabriolet.

In the past I've looked at (and for various reasons rejected) a Honda S2000, Boxster, MX5, Z3 and Z4, TVR Chimera, and probably a few others. Certainly for rarity value there's no comparison to a 968 cab - only about 125 left on the road in UK!

The 2 Boxster Ss I had were stunning, but like an awful lot of sporting cars, you could rarely use their performance on the road (width fine) whereas cars like the MX5 are much more entertaining at sensible speeds.

It was nice to see your picture of your original MX5 actually.

All the ones I've seen on my way to work or home (at least 3 or 4 now - 1 regularly) are muntered lowered tatty **** heaps.

Shame really.

MX5 without a doubt. I've not been in one myself but it just looks like so much fun and has incredibly good reviews reliability wise.

My wife has a Boxster and its a great car and has not been expensive to own and run over the past 4 years.

It does not feel wide and is easy to handle on UK roads, I find it more fun to drive than the 997 and the 991 as I find both of these 911 models too wide.

Well as I now own one it'd have to be the mk1 MX5! I bought it having tried out a couple and thinking it was a reasonable compromise but having spent more time in it, am surprised how much I am falling for it :) no matter how tatty. Also finding it quicker as I get more used to the best way of driving it. Chris, must say I was attracted to the 944s /968s and it's something that's on the list for the future, but after the bill for a few little jobs that needed doing on the 23 year old Mazda (at bargain prices) I was rather glad I wasn't having them all done on a 23 year old Porsche! Some pictures for anyone I haven't bored with them on my other thread: image-4078268838.jpg image-215283379.jpg image-929125864.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom