Have Red Bull Racing paid anything for this year's engines yet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

esscee

Car
S212 350 CDI (265)
Large yellow French registered artic parked in layby opposite the Tilbrook factory yesterday for more than 4 hours. Renault Formula 1 decals on the lorry. Wonder if there is some "friction" still? Maybe waiting to collect last years old unwanted engines?

From an "unattributable source" :cool: on another Mercedes forum in connection with another topic.
I live a couple of miles from Brixworth where Mercedes AMG powertrains AND Ilmor are based. After Paul Morgan (the Mor part) was killed his widow Liz sold her shareholding to Daimler. Meanwhile, Mario Ilean (the Il part of Ilmor) sold his part but decided to keep the Ilmor name and buildings and keep making racing engines quite separately from Mercedes-Benz AMG although only a couple of hundred yards away and they still do to this day.
I know a few people who work there and the word on the street is that Ilmor are going to do the final prep on the Renault F1 engines following the company's recent takeover of the Lotus F1 team. I do not believe this has reached the press yet, but if so, will mean we have two F1 engines coming out of the small Northamptonshire village of Brixworth.
:dk::dk:

Iilmor modifying/developing the Renault engines have been common knowledge since November.

Not sure if a parallel engine will work in F1 if they do go the route of the RFI that has been sent to manufacturers then anyone running the current hybrid engines will never win a race. New spec of < 2.5 litres with twin turbo (or single) will give massive grunt. Also there is no rev limit in the request that plays into the hands of Honda who's design is capable of 21,000 rpm and Cosworth who allegedly now have a design that runs at 25,000 rpm. A Cosworth 21,000 rpm engine was tested a few years ago and it just blew everything away it was so powerful that's why F1 introduced the 18,000 rpm limit and took Cosworth out of the game.

Will be very interesting to see how this plays out but I can't see it happening client engines better than works engines? All it will do is force teams to ditch the hybrid power units (not a bad thing in my opinion) and develop their own 2.5 power units. But then I suppose Bernie F*ckwit Ecclestone will say its Works hybrid power or Client engines, so that will only go one direction :wallbash:

View attachment 55459

on a slippery slope again by the looks of it,reduced to playing with the
V8,ah memories...

Last edited:
Iilmor modifying/developing the Renault engines have been common knowledge since November.

That's what I thought..I re-read the post and thought I must have misread or misinterpreted it.

Also there is no rev limit in the request that plays into the hands of Honda who's design is capable of 21,000 rpm

Hell Ian I hope you're right fella. Not sure I can take many more seasons like the last few. I love McLaren, their demise is putting me on a real downer.

Ant. :thumb:

Hell Ian I hope you're right fella. Not sure I can take many more seasons like the last few. I love McLaren, their demise is putting me on a real downer.

Not watched a race in 2 years and have given my British GP VIP tickets away for the last two years now. I just have no interest in it. They will have to drastically change the engines and rules before it gets my interest again. BTCC & DTM are what I watch most these days.

Yes, I know it's not your cuppa Ian and I totally understand why. But I still love it (as do my 2 girls). F1 just like most other sports will always have their Die Hard fans.

And just saying, if you ever need to throw those GP tickets up in the air, I'm a great catcher. :D

Yes, I know it's not your cuppa Ian and I totally understand why. But I still love it (as do my 2 girls). F1 just like most other sports will always have their Die Hard fans.

And just saying, if you ever need to throw those GP tickets up in the air, I'm a great catcher. :D

No prob my nephew and his wife normally benefit.

I was a die hard fan used to do 3 GP a year. Then Bernie went stupid with the rules so they use power units that belong in washing machines not race cars. Not my cuppa at all these days but lets hope it changes

When you liked F1 did you favour any particular team Ian?

Yes, big shame about the engines, rules and regs. Would be great to let the teams run free. Imagine the speed of the cars if they had free reign?

When was your favourite era Ian? I loved the Mikka days for Obvious reasons.

Ant.

I'm a McLaren man always have been but my association with F1 has been through Ford/Jaguar and Cosworth.

My favourite era is the Senna/Prost/Mansell years and the turbo cars.

Although I agree the V10 era was also good.

I've also had the privilege of driving two F1 cars. Schumachers Benneton and the Jaguar F1 test car. One of the best adrenaline fuelled things I have ever done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom