Have swirl marks but don't have polisher help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dvb247

Car
AMG e55
My car really needs some tlc now, I have today available to go the Halfords and buy some products and have go myself at detailing but I don't have a power tool polisher, can I get the swirls out without one or should I just get it detailed by a professional?

Reading other threads this seems to be the process to go through

rinse with hose
wash (2 bucket, I have the Mags wash mit also)
clay (never done this but looks easy enough)
rinse
wash
paint correction/chemical correction (lost me here??)
polish (I have some autoglym thats 5 years old but full, is this still okay?)
wax (need a Halfords best buy advise)
some sort of sealer or extra shine

I have the time and enthusiasm but no ideal at all sorry
thanks in advance!!:thumb:

While it is possible to polish out swirl marks by hand, Mercedes paint (the clearcoat) is very hard. It would take forever and wear down your arms to stumps!

Machine polishing is really the only way to remove all the swirls.

Hand polishing will remove some of the finer swirls though.

An alterantive would be to use a polish with fillers that "fill" the swirls to hide them. Autoglym Super Resin Polish is one example of a polish with fillers.

Try detailing world website for all information on cleaning cars - it has many detailing guides and lots of helpful (if sometimes obsessive) people.

Good luck - and try to refrain from it becoming a compulsion! - It is addictive:)

Thanks for the info, I think the swirls were partly my fault for trying to polish my car without claying first a few months back, think I'll get it done by a professional and learn how to keep it layered up with regular wash, clay and wax.

Need to get my car back to how it looked when I purchased it 2 years ago, I believe it had a Gtechnic detail just before I collected it, it looked stunning.

Paint correction does not correct the paint, it is just detailer/valeter jargon - it is in fact polishing out swirls. No great science to it.

This is my father in laws car after I gave it a good clean, polish and wax.

I used Turtle Wax Colour Magic polish and then used some wax that I've had in the garage about 10 year.
Although it hasn't removed the swirls completely, you have to really look for them to see them.
The polish cost me £8 and I think it was well worth it, for such a low cost it's worth a try?

Last edited by a moderator:
Before going for a detail have a go yourself. If then you're not satisfied call in a detailer.

This is my father in laws car after I gave it a good clean, polish and wax.

I used Turtle Wax Colour Magic polish and then used some wax that I've had in the garage about 10 year.
Although it hasn't removed the swirls completely, you have to really look for them to see them.
The polish cost me £8 and I think it was well worth it, for such a low cost it's worth a try?

I agree it looks good.

The colour magic polish you used will have fillers that mask the swirls. Over time these fillers will "wash out" and the car will look "swirly again".

A permanent solution will involve polishing the clearcoat to remove the swirls. This is very hard work without a machine polisher (it is not impossible though:)).

Polishers with fillers have their place and I am not knocking them. It's "horses for courses" and full paint correction (polishing) will work out too time consuming or expensive for some. For the ultimate in shiny cars though, it is a must:D

Thanks for the info, I think the swirls were partly my fault for trying to polish my car without claying first a few months back, think I'll get it done by a professional and learn how to keep it layered up with regular wash, clay and wax.

Need to get my car back to how it looked when I purchased it 2 years ago, I believe it had a Gtechnic detail just before I collected it, it looked stunning.

The swirls may not be all your own fault. If fillers were used before you bought the car, it would have appeared swirl free. Over time you will have washed the car and removed the fillers.

If you get the swirls removed, the trick to keeping it swirl free is to use a good wash and dry technique. Claying will only be required at most every 6 months, and keep your paint well protected with a wax or sealant.

Good luck:)

There are a few good products out there that are indeed fillers - as mentioned above.

One of the 'better' ones I have found in recent times is Autofinesse Tripple - The good thing ablout this is that it polishes, glazes and is a sealant at the same time Auto Finesse Detailing London

Good price at £15 and that amount will last many applications - heres an example I did purely using this product on an old commercial vehicle.

Before > forgive the obligatory 3M blue tape > lol, I know sweetpea is gonna laugh at that :O)
dsc00281hl.jpg

After - just using this product and nothing else.
dsc00283nn.jpg

My car really needs some tlc now, I have today available to go the Halfords and buy some products and have go myself at detailing but I don't have a power tool polisher, can I get the swirls out without one or should I just get it detailed by a professional?

Reading other threads this seems to be the process to go through

rinse with hose
wash (2 bucket, I have the Mags wash mit also)
clay (never done this but looks easy enough)
rinse
wash
polish (I have some autoglym thats 5 years old but full, is this still okay?)
wax (need a Halfords best buy advise)
some sort of sealer or extra shine

I have the time and enthusiasm but no ideal at all sorry
thanks in advance!!:thumb:

Hi bud

Hope all is well! I know what kind of achievement you are wanting on your car and you are not going to get it with supplys from halfords. PM me and i'll give you a contact of a good quality detailer I can recommend to you in your area. Also I can help you out with what to buy to be able to keep it looking good.

Cheers

Mike

I live near Potters bar, any good detailers around here?

Hi bud

Hope all is well! I know what kind of achievement you are wanting on your car and you are not going to get it with supplys from halfords. PM me and i'll give you a contact of a good quality detailer I can recommend to you in your area. Also I can help you out with what to buy to be able to keep it looking good.

Cheers

Mike

I live near Potters bar, any good detailers around here?

Hello

What was it you were looking to get done.

Cheers mike

bodywork really, it definitely needs a cutting, and a polish, the wax I can put on myself. The only thing missing really is the machine polisher!

oh yeah, and some snowfoam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom