Have We Been Hacked?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If it's generated within the forum, I'm not sure I understand how it works. The message contains both my email address and my forum password, so the sender does have my password, which I haven't used anywhere else for some time.

I think it's probable that there are hackers who could access my computer and my webcam (if I had one) remotely without my permission, but I'm hoping/expecting Mr. Kaspersky's security software will prevent that. I'm not hugely computer literate, but I'm not a mug...much...often...

As the title. I just received an email from somebody who has my email address and password for this site, offering me the chance to pay $1000 in Bitcoin within 24 hours, to prevent him/her sending a webcam video, of me pleasuring myself while conducting personal quality control of adult material (Private Browsing reporting for duty, sir...), to all my contacts.

I could not possibly comment on whether I watch, or have ever watched, such material, but as I don't have a webcam, I invited him/her to indulge in the sin of Onan.

Has anybody else had the same email?

I havent , but I can imagine its unsettling

If it's generated within the forum, I'm not sure I understand how it works.
There are two different types of questionable contact attempts here - my apologies for bringing the other one into the discussion, but I thought it was justified, given the title of this thread.

As I said, I got a PM from someone, who only ever login once it seems, and never posted anything, and that was puzzling, until Karl explained it.
(I asked admin to delete my reply to that PM and perhaps remove the conversation entirely).
Luckily with my security settings, I don't even see the dodgy links or suchlike, so if there was one in that PM, the effort was wasted ;)

Errm, that's not what Karl was talking about - an option to send email to a member is used (from click on username, pick an action), and the message is then delivered as a PM (conversation) ...

How can an email be delivered as a PM? Peeps using the word email erroneously it seems.

SMF forum software has a feature where you can either send a PM, or send the person an email, via the forum. It comes through looking like the person sent you a regular email. I assumed that's what's happened here.

Anyway, if the email you received contained the password, then they didn't get it from the forum, as this forum platform like almost all others don't store passwords in plain text. No hacking or database access will reveal any users passwords, as they're simply not stored.

As someone's said, if the guy told you your password, it's been leaked elsewhere. It's easy enough to see if the password is still in use on a website by just trying to log in with it.

I'd suggest you start using a decent password manager like 1password. It'll generate strong, unique passwords for every website you use and you don't have to worry about remembering them all. You can change your master password as often as you like, and even use 2 factor auth with it so even with your master password, your passwords are safe unless the guy also steals your mobile phone and your finger or face.

93D67834-28C8-45A6-8BFD-910A60F0BD0A.png I’ve had a couple of similar emails and then this one last night :eek:

Good idea.

Hopefully he’ll be in a better mood.

View attachment 78568 I’ve had a couple of similar emails and then this one last night :eek:
I've seen a few of these in the past week, reported to our helpdesk by customers

Seems to be a step up from the previous 'I have got footage of you w***ing' variety.

Seems to be a step up from the previous 'I have got footage of you w***ing' variety.
Just a bit!

The email does waffle on abit and become even more sinister!

I’ve mailed him back asking about his holiday as I’m nosey like that.

Not had a reply yet.....

Well, I know where he got the idea from....

220px-BringMeHeadAlfredoGarcia-Adv.jpg

The email does waffle on abit and become even more sinister!
Tell him, the placement of a currency symbol after the numerical value, in English language, is punishable by public castration, so he's got more important thing to worry about (two things, in fact). o_O

O r maybe only one thing to worry about, younger forum members ask your grandfather :)

I've seen a few of these in the past week, reported to our helpdesk by customers

My latest spam today was rather refined; I've been seen 'doing dirty things'.

And I was at the time. AC compressor covered in 20 years of oily filth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom