Have you ever been pulled over by the Police?

Overall, have you been treated fairly when pulled over by the police

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
Would you say that overall you were dealt with fairly and correctly or not?

I generally get pulled once every couple of months par the course being a van driver with a pikeyfied vehicle. I've never had any probs once they do the PNC and see that I'm legit.

yes, been pulled over a few times. On all ocassions treated fairly and correctly except in Sept 2009. My record of what happened:

3 firearms officers in a BMW 5 series came up next to me at the lights.

Asked me to pull up at the next bus lane.

I did.

Went to pavement.

Officer (A) says I was speeding, apparently so fast that they could not keep up .. as they were held up by traffic.

Why didn't they chase with sirens or lights then?

A asked me if I was doing more than 30, I said I wasn't sure.

Other officer (B) tells me to take my hands out of my pockets. No please, no explanation, just an instruction.

A then says road is busy, and to slow down. I listen quietly, as I just wanted the whole situation to end.

My hands wander back into my pockets, where they sit naturally.

B again tells me to take my hands out. I do, but don't understand what the issue is. No please, no explanation, just an instruction.

A says the traffic light was red. I did not reply because I did not want to inflame the situation. The lights turned yellow just as I was passing them.

A did not actually say that he saw me cross the lights on red, nor did he say where he was when I allegedly crossed the red lights.

Meanwhile, A goes to car. B again instructs me to take my hands out of pockets -- my hands had naturally gone back there. Again, no please.

B says that he wants my hands out of my pockets because "we're firearms officers, and we haven't searched you".

This is ridiculous because I am wearing tight trousers and there is very clearly nothing in my pockets. I keep quiet, but A and B in their bullet proof vests, and huge presence is a just a touch intimidating. I really don't see what threat my hands being in my pockets could possible be. B could see easily that there was nothing in them.

A tells me he's issuing a fixed penalty notice for the alleged red light offence, and asks me to sign, saying I didn't have to. I decided to sign as I wanted to try to do what he wanted. When I look at the bit where A had asked me to sign, it says licence "surrendered at road side" -- this was not the case as they did not want to keep my licence (which by now had been returned not properly folded). I told A that this was wrong. A scratches it out.

A then fills another form, and again invites me to sign, saying I didn't have to. B has been there all this time.

I read where A wants me to sign, and A had written "yeah" under a question which I saw amounted to a confession by me of the alleged red light offence. A sees my hesitation and then after a pause, explains that this says that I said I had crashed the red light. I had said no such thing. I declined to sign. I am furious, as it appears to me that A had tried to trick me into signing a confession.

A takes paper back. And gives me a producer and a FPN - A explains again that I had 7 days to produce the licence and insurance certificate.

A had tried to get me to sign a confession, when I had not even said anything about that.

I contested the FPN, and nothing happened after that.

Last edited:
Only once, about 14 years ago. Was driving over to some friends for the afternoon, all family on board, in the big grand voyager we had at the time. Most of the journey was on NSL roads, but towards the end you took a left and a right and were suddenly on a residential road with a perfectly reasonable 30mph limit. On this occasion, I simply hadn't slowed enough - hadn't adjusted my mindset for the residential area - so got flagged down by the police for doing 41mph.

The policeman was entirely professional and reasonable. Gave me a bit of a lecture about the need to control speed at this point - which I entirely deserved. Then he let me go. I think he saw me, five kids on board, Mrs PXW next to me nursing a large pavlova, and reckoned along with his lecture and warning I probably had enough trouble for the day! But I cannot fault the courteous professional attitude, and to be honest I couldn't have argued with a speeding ticket had he been so minded.

The net result of this was that I did slow down and take more notice of especially urban speed limits. I think a more confrontational approach could have had a different effect, as it might have left me feeling outraged?

I have neverplayed the race card to excuse my poor driving either.

Not a traffic offence however is car related (due to ghosted number plates).

2 of Birmingham's finest police officers, step forward PC's Ubi and Lowe, spent 5 months trying to fit me to a series of aggravated robberies (involving a very large screwdriver apparantly); this at a time when through work I could access anything from .22LR to .50 BMG :doh:

If I saw these 2 gentlemen on fire in the street I would not **** a leg to put them out. They simply wanted to make the crime fit me and did their level best to make life awkward for me.

Since then I do not trust the Police despite the fact I am sure most are good people - their role gives them immense opportunity to make your life a misery, they know it and you know it.

Being a bit older and wiser now I would handle the situation completely differently and would raise blue f@@king hell with every media outlet available.

Did they treat me right? No

Used to get stopped frequently to check ownership when I was a scruffy young lad driving around in a new and Liverpool-plated Sierra Cosworth. I was always polite and so were they, and I was grateful they did it, as there were multiple attempts to nick it. Over the years I've also been stopped quite a few times to encourage me to drive with a little less enthusiasm- don't think I was ever dangerous, but it was fair enough and the conversations were amicable, no tickets or points received (not an issue these days as I rarely find much enthusiasm for the roads).

The closest I've been to disagreement was when I was told I shouldn't have slowed down for a speed camera- I avoided any smart response as there was another car pulled on the other side of the road and their conversation was being filmed by a TV crew.

In my experience, police usually (and rightly) start off in a neutral tone, which shifts according to to the way they are being talked to- so you have the opportunity to influence that (and I don't mean resort to grovelling). I also suspect that getting out of the car as soon as you stop helps their disposition.

Last edited:
I've found them to be nothing other than professional, polite and eminently reasonable, but as I've only been stopped for faulty brake light and tyre and a fair number of speeding in my younger days and on each occasion I've been bang to rights I haven't really tried to be argumentative.
I was reported on about 50% of occasions and given a producer and words of advice on the others.

Hardly ever been pulled over by the police, but never any problems. The nearest to trouble was WAY back when I was a teenager and had one of the first Honda 50cc motorbikes in the country (some of you will know just how long ago that was). I was stopped a couple of times by coppers who were clearly more interested in the bike than any misdemeanour on my part. But it was soon after passing my driving test that I had my kid sister on the pillion as we drove round the Guildford bypass. Waved over for a routine check and the bored looking young copper suddenly brightened up when he opened my driving licence (another indicator of how long ago it was) and failed to look at the pass slip tucked inside. Without asking me if I'd passed my test, he then made a few facetious comments about no L-plates and whether my 12 year old sister was a qualified driver. I let him rant on and then suggested he look at the pass slip. With his face sullen again he checked everything on my bike before begrudgingly sending us on our way.

Another time I was stopped by a motorcycle cop when I was riding a fair amount more than the 30 limit on my Bonneville. He asked if I knew why he'd stopped me (their standard opening gambit I suspect) and I said that it was no doubt because I was breaking the speed limit. He gave me a bit of a lecture then told me that he wouldn't do anything because despite my speed I was riding very carefully, and indeed he'd had trouble following me without me spotting him. I promised to behave in future :rolleyes: and went on my way.

I've only been stopped once in a car in the last 30 years. Again just a routine check when leaving Milton Keynes at 1am. They'd followed me for some distance along dark country roads whilst flashing their lights before we came to a well lit area where I could see what sort of car was following and pull over safely. I soon had the WPC apologising for following me so closely that I couldn't see the blue light, but as (nearly) always, all totally amicable.

So all in all, never any real problem. Not answering back and being as helpful as possible seems to have been the solution to simple encounters (no matter how much of a plonker I've thought they've been at times.)

Pulled over many times in my youth and have never been treated other than professionally and appropriately.

Don't think that I have been pulled over in the last thirty odd years though.

I got nothing against the police , its a hard job they , but some times i think they wanna do that job just a little to well , especially at road side where the good old days of personal discretion are gone, like i said on the other thread .

Now days they cant wait to stick their chest out and give you that on the spot fine or three points regardless of circumstance..and when they they have done all they can watch the spring in their step as they walk away, you can see they feel they have actually achieved something :rolleyes:

Sorry if i upset anyone guys but my experience with the police is very overrated , i guess this may be different in different parts of the country tho :)

I got pulled over by the police and I accused them of only pulling me over because I'm a fat white blonde guy.

They agreed

Fair enough.

I've had positive and negative experiences with the cops. A few very positive ones (including once when I was stopped because my tax disc holder fell off... only to have them spot 20 paintball guns on my back seat) and a few very negative ones.

What does that tell me? That the police are human, just like anyone else... and you'll get some good ones and some bad ones.

C'est la vie...

Following on from my other post I do have quite alot of contact with the police but 2 incidents stick in my mind which I will post

The Good :

Many years ago a friend of mine had a call from his wife and his baby had stopped breathing. He jumped in his van and shot off. He got pulled by the cops doing over a ton on the motorway. The cops spotted straight away that he was extremely distressed and took him home with blues and twos at a great rate of knots. Copper 2 even drove his van home for him. Copper 1 stayed with my friend for 16 hours at the hospital and stayed in contact for the next few weeks whilst the baby recovered.

The Bad :

A few years back I was delivering in a $hithole estate in Peckham and whilst waiting by the lift a bloke ran pass, about 10 seconds later a rather portly copper trotted up sweating like a pig and virtually hyperventilating. He turned to us and said "F... Me these N....rs can run" (use your imagination)

Three times in many many years of driving.

Once when working at night driving a relatively posh car in a dodgy area. Very courteous. No problems at all.

Second as a random sort of alcohol campaign. Again no problems with attitude.

Thirdly earlier this year by the French gendarmes at the Chambery toll booth. Again a "random" check. They were going to stop the car in front but then saw an old UK registered car and clearly preferred it. They were very thorough but definitely more courteous than the British ones. Fortunately I am obsessional and the old 124 and all the paperwork were in order.

Many years ago a friend of mine had a call from his wife and his baby had stopped breathing. He jumped in his van and shot off. He got pulled by the cops doing over a ton on the motorway. The cops spotted straight away that he was extremely distressed and took him home with blues and twos at a great rate of knots. Copper 2 even drove his van home for him. Copper 1 stayed with my friend for 16 hours at the hospital and stayed in contact for the next few weeks whilst the baby recovered.

Sort of thing that should be publicised more. It's what you would like to think happen, but never hear of it.

ETA

When I was a student I had a Renault5 in which the engine died. As it happened the rare 1.2 second-hand engine was available in Doncaster. Brought the car back, and my dad used a contact to swap the engine. He then used the car for a couple of days to make sure it was reliable before I came back to collect it.

On his way for some tests at a Sheffield hospital the car stopped on the M1. He'd been waiting for some time for the tests, and really did not want to miss them. The Police stopped to check they were ok, and actually drove him to the hospital.

Last edited:
I have the problem of never knowing if my stop is real or not :eek: I have 2 mates on road traffic and one on ARV's. Quite often if they are on the right shift and I am on my way home late at night, particularly on the road from the A1 to where I turn off to our village which is a 3 mile straight, they come up behind me on go the blues, my heart pounds, buttocks clench then they pull out overtake me and wave as they go past, now thats not nice :mad:

I have had both positive and negative results with being stopped. All documented on the forum. I try not to get into an argument with them when I have drunk a shed load of Vodka.

Anyway they only stop me because I am a Jockist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom