Have you ever been pulled over by the Police?

Overall, have you been treated fairly when pulled over by the police

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been pulled a few times in my 30 odd years of driving.

Two stick out in my history. One good(ish), and one not so.

The good one first then.
At what used to be the very top of the M1 coming out of Leeds - a road I used to know well because I grew up not far away - the road still looks like the M1 but the speed limit has been dropped to either 40 or 50 I can't remember which.
My brother was involved in a major RTA and was in Intensive Care at Jimmys hospital in Leeds.
I'd driven from Nottingham, picked up my mum and been to visit what no longer looked like my brother.
On the way home I didn't spot the new speed limit and wondered why plod were following me at a sensible distance even though I was doing about 65 - well, I had my mum in the car after all.
When he pulled me I got out of the car before he did, ran down the hard shoulder to his car and went ballistic at him. I mean absolutely mentally ballistic.
To his credit he took it all. Went calmly about his business, got on the radio to confirm the RTA and when everything was confirmed just told me to take things easy because I was obviously thinking about other things, and get my mum home safely.
Even writing that brought back horrible memories and made me sad.
My brother pulled through BTW. Though is still living with his injuries.

The other was so daft you couldn't make it up.
I was on the A50 early one Sunday morning when I saw blues behind me. As I was getting off at the next exit I ignored them and went up the exit ramp believing the car would scream past me.
He didn't, and followed me up the ramp gesticulating at me.
When I pulled over he told me he had followed me between two marker points and I had been clocked at 134mph which was ridiculous.
When all the paperwork came through I employed a private detective (an ex trafpol as luck would have it) to check everything out. He worked out what the berk had done.
He had been sat in the services, seen me go past in an SRi and come out after me. But in his hurry forgot to reset the trip when he went under the first marker bridge.
In the paperwork he said he clocked me between two specific bridges.
Odd that the 2nd bridge was after the slip road where he wrote the ticket. And a receipt I had proved I must have exited at that slip road.
In other words he lied to cover his error and took me to court.
Despite winning and getting costs I was still out of pocket by about £300 to clear my name.
I guess laughing didn't help when he stopped me and told me I was doing 134mph but if he'd thought about it for a minute he would have realised he actually probably wouldn't have caught me from a standing start if I had been and he should have dropped it. So he deserved to be made look stupid in court. Which he did. Big style.

Last edited:
I had a fair few run-ins with the law in my late teens/early twenties, but very rarely since then.

Roughly 90% of the police I've dealt with in my life have been either woefully incompetent or corrupt.

The other 10% were a credit to the police service (and humanity in general) and it's because of this small percentage that I don't paint them all with the same brush.

I've got two former school friends that are serving police officers, and they both tell me it isn't a good time to be doing their job right now...

Roughly 90% of the police I've dealt with in my life have been either woefully incompetent or corrupt.

Wow that is some statement!

Wondering if this is largely based on experiences when you were in your 20's rather than recent ones as I think the Police behave very differently now than they used to 20+ years ago.

Wow that is some statement!.

Not if you grew up with South Yorkshire Police as your local force, it ain't...

Wondering if this is largely based on experiences when you were in your 20's rather than recent ones as I think the Police behave very differently now than they used to 20+ years ago.

I'm in my early thirties.

Yes I have been a few times. Got pulled over in Jan. Unmarked car. Tried saying I'd been doing 80 in a 40. This was inside the car so probably recorded. Said I did not think I was going that fast. He then said he had my car on video and could I confirm it was my car. I said it was my car on his screen. Didn't show me any video. Tried again to say I was doing double the limit. Said I wasn't. He then said he couldn't give me a ticket as I was going that fast and it would have to go to court. Told him to do what he had to do. He took a photo of my licence on his iPhone and I've heard nothing since. Can't say I'm too impressed

Nothing but positive experiences. Most recently, I was pulled over in my wife's (then) RX7 and asked if it was insured. I said it was; they asked with whom; I said I thought it was Churchill, but wasn't sure; one said to the other "No, they're not the type", and they wished us good day. I was polite; they were polite.

As it turned out, the car was (very technically...) NOT insured, because the insurance company had got the registration wrong. We obviously look too repectable, old and middle-class.

And therein, I think. lies the nub of the matter. Not exclusively, but especially, if you DON'T look particularly respectable, and you are pulled over, how you then react (assuming you have not committed an offence) will determine whether you have a positive or negative experience.

I got pulled over few times by traffic police, tbh never had problems

Only once in my first car, about 10 years ago, parked in loading area went to rent some DVD from library few yard away, coming out from library 2 police officer on foot, told me that should not park car here as it is loading area and they will issue penalty notice. I had few DVD's in my hand, I replied it is loading area and I am loading my car with DVD's. They did not like it, reply I got back, dont get smart with us, we can send you back to your country. Well accepted fine and moved on

Wow that is some statement!

Some people really do live in a bubble dont they :rolleyes:
i cant believe that rather than take his opinion on the way hes been treated in the past , instantly you assume its more to do with the force of the past or him being some sort of out of control delinquent rather than it being the polices fault or the way people in power can treat people ...the mind boggles !
Whats the world coming to !!

I got pulled over few times by traffic police, tbh never had problems

Only once in my first car, about 10 years ago, parked in loading area went to rent some DVD from library few yard away, coming out from library 2 police officer on foot, told me that should not park car here as it is loading area and they will issue penalty notice. I had few DVD's in my hand, I replied it is loading area and I am loading my car with DVD's. They did not like it, reply I got back, dont get smart with us, we can send you back to your country. Well accepted fine and moved on

Jeez. Sending you back to Yorkshire. That's harsh. Even murderers don't get treated that badly.

I once pulled onto the M40 at gerrards x, and (on my bike) chucked it in top gear as the motorway was completely empty - literally nothing - whacked the throttle open from about 40 or 50mph. Its a gentle down hill from there to the next stop - high wycombe east, where the bike club used to meet. a gentle burble turned into a howl as it redlined in top - somewhere about 140mph due to the kent cams, naughty zorst, uprated ignition, filters, etc etc - oh - and 20bhp on NOx.... ;)

There appears a slightly bluish tinged headlight in my rvm - catching up as Ive closed the throttle half a mile before the exit and am coasting to a sensible speed for the exit.

Darn. Or something like that....

Copper says 'wow, glad you stopped, you were pulling away from us at we were maxed out'

Ignoring dodgy exhaust, speed, etc etc we get chatting and he lets me off with a dont do it again and look out for the idiot drivers with hats....

amusingly, he was most interested in the bottle of gas, and wondered if they could get gas fitted to their cars!

I once pulled onto the M40 at gerrards x, and (on my bike) chucked it in top gear as the motorway was completely empty - literally nothing - whacked the throttle open from about 40 or 50mph. Its a gentle down hill from there to the next stop - high wycombe east, where the bike club used to meet. a gentle burble turned into a howl as it redlined in top - somewhere about 140mph due to the kent cams, naughty zorst, uprated ignition, filters, etc etc - oh - and 20bhp on NOx.... ;)

There appears a slightly bluish tinged headlight in my rvm - catching up as Ive closed the throttle half a mile before the exit and am coasting to a sensible speed for the exit.

Darn. Or something like that....

Copper says 'wow, glad you stopped, you were pulling away from us at we were maxed out'

Ignoring dodgy exhaust, speed, etc etc we get chatting and he lets me off with a dont do it again and look out for the idiot drivers with hats....

amusingly, he was most interested in the bottle of gas, and wondered if they could get gas fitted to their cars!
Check the luck out on this guy ...can you send me some :thumb:

Been pulled several times, in cars, on the bike.
Always played a humble pie, never had any issues (apart from those which I deserved).

Funny how some people see it is perfectly justified to have a go at the police, yet it is their name they scream when in trouble ???

I have been pulled over a few times.
A few of the reasons;
Its a dodgy time to be driving in the middle of nowhere!
(not when you live in the middle of nowhere and are trying to get home)
I look suspicious!
(not really sure how to remedy this one)
Do you have permission to drive your fathers car
(local didn't know we had very similar cars, didn't check the reg)

Was once stopped for a chat and to admire the car!
(Bristol 411)

All the above stops where amicable and professional.

Then one stop that I don't really wish to detail changed my attitude towards police and I can only say I will only be as obliging as i find the officer in standing in front of me.

One that sticks in my mind from the mid '60s, when I was in the RAF. Driving through Hatfield, Yorks, a tad late for a night shift, about 11.15pm, in my Frogeye Sprite, I was pulled over for speeding.

He asked for my licence (a little red book in those days) which he was flicking through as he spoke.

Asked me where I was going, why driving so late, had I been drinking etc. I answered politely, he remarked he was ex RAF, and then commented that my licence was clean, and did I want to keep it clean?

Of course says I.

His reply as he returned the licence?

Well **** off then and keep to the speed limits in future!

Malcolm

Working in the music business for many years, doing lots of late night driving, I've been pulled over on numerous occasions. Too many funny incidents to list, but one stands out.

Mid 1960s, driving back to Wigan in the middle of the night in the band's Ford transit. After a playing a club in Sheffield until 2.00 a.m. and having to get up for work the next morning - before the M62 was built. Our lead guitarist (and wannabe racing driver) shot us through Barnsley town centre at about 70 mph. At least half an hour later, a Police minivan (remember those?) overtook us about half way over Woodhead Pass. It must have been about 3.30 a.m by then.

A big, burly sarge pulled us in, shone his torch inside the van (to a chorus of "turn that effin light off" from the other band members who were trying to catch some sleep) and said in a wonderful Barnsley accent "Tha were crackin' on a bit through t' town centre back theer, weren't tha lads?"

"Not us, officer", said the guitarist (he always was a cheeky bas*ard).

"Nay lad, it were thee alreet. It's tekken me all this time to bloody catch yer!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, as soon as he discovered we were a bunch of working lads in a band trying to get home, he gave us a his best wishes, told us to be careful and sent us on our way. Top bloke.

There were five in the band; I still can't believe that our fee for the night - was £15 - and that was before the agent took his commission!

I've always found most police officers to be decent blokes, providing you're polite and respectful to them. Why wouldn't you be? I wouldn't have their job for a brass clock.

I was always being told by a policeman to take my hands out of my pockets when I was younger.... but then it was my Dad :D

Having experience of police in other countries, countries where you address the police as 'Sir' & where I've been approached by traffic cops with guns drawn, I have to say any British cops I've had dealings with are the very model of reasonableness & restraint.

Heaven is where the Police are British, the cooks are French, the mechanics German, the lovers Italian and it's all organised by the Swiss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom