Have you got damp in your R230 ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Clkrichard

Car
2011 CLC 220cdi 2004 CLK 320 cabriolet, R230 SL500, A class Sport AMG now arrived.
Most of us probably have at some time even after trying to sort the seals and front drain.
There is an offer on GROUPON at present for a small mains powered dehumidifer which could sit in the passenger footwell and looks the right size to go in the boot as well. It should effectively dry out the boot and cabin and at £30 isnt expensive - certainly not when compared to the cost of the electric kit in the boot.
Whilst this isnt a cure for water entry it should help minimise any effects - when mine arrives it will go in the car overnight from time to time even after Olly has cured the leaks.

I had a wet boot when I first bought my SL but have managed to dry it out and seal the leaks. I keep a kilo of silica gel granules in the boot, just to mop up any dampness.

The carpet in the rear corner, behind the driver's seat showed signs of water ingress but it's not been wet while I've owned the car.

I believe I've seen dehumidifiers with the Lidl or Aldi specials before now. Good idea though and will take a look at what Groupon have to offer.

Thanks.

I effected a preemptive strike on my seals......completely resealed and water tight prior to any known water ingress.......I did the work over two years ago and all is well (touch wood).
My SL is garaged which I believe helps a lot especially from the potential of the storm water drains becoming blocked with falling overhead debris.

Mic

Good advice from clkRichard & Aitch55 . I have heavy duty bin liners tucked all around the foam in the spare wheel compartment. I will try the silica gel and the Groupon offer. Mine's dry at the moment but the car lives outside unfortunately in the grim North.
Thank you both.

Good advice from clkRichard & Aitch55 . I have heavy duty bin liners tucked all around the foam in the spare wheel compartment. I will try the silica gel and the Groupon offer. Mine's dry at the moment but the car lives outside unfortunately in the grim North.
Thank you both.

Just to add, I bought my silica gel from ebay. A search should find it :)

Medders I wrapped my foam in cling film ( after a thorough drying on a radiator ). A bit neater than the plastic bag/bin liner version.

clkrichard and Aitch55 , cling film and silica gel here we go. Thanks chaps. It's gotta be done.

As MicB, there's a cheap, easy fix to re-seal the boot and prevent the water getting in.

Until I cleared enough space in the garage, my SL sat outside in the weather but the bigger problem, for me is the enormous oak tree in the drive that sheds sticky sap, bits of twig and dirt and then the acorns.

I bought the Halfords, extra large car cover for £60ish and it was very effective at keeping the car clean & dry. A bit of a faff if you use the car regularly (I don't) but very effective and quick to get on and off, once you decide on a method.

Aitch thanks. I know about the leak sealing procedure - there is a "how to" by Malcolm on the other forum. Unfortunately I am battling the big " C " at present and am not really up to doing it myself. I have elected to outsource the work to Olly at PCS and am sure he will do a better job than me ! Once it is done I will still run the dehumidifier just as a belt and braces exercise.

Aitch thanks. I know about the leak sealing procedure - there is a "how to" by Malcolm on the other forum. Unfortunately I am battling the big " C " at present and am not really up to doing it myself. I have elected to outsource the work to Olly at PCS and am sure he will do a better job than me ! Once it is done I will still run the dehumidifier just as a belt and braces exercise.

From what I've read, the car will be in good hands at PCS.

As for your battle, very best wishes for a successful conclusion with many years enjoyment from your SL.

Thanks matey, its an illness that can be defeated so thats what I am going to do.
The worst part is that I have just been told I cant drive for 2 to 3 months after a 7 hour operation in mid April so I predict a heatwave then while the SL sits in the garage !
Maybe I will sit in it on the drive with the roof down making "vroom vroom" noises !

Strength to you Richard!! Hope it's not too sunny. Since our weather is predictable in the UK - 6 months of sh** weather....followed by winter! I bought the XL breathable car cover for the SL350 ..from Halfords.... a couple of weeks ago....battleship grey with a nice bag £79 if I recall. Trouble is I park in a private bay in a private car park controlled by a private Stasi firm called GDR...or something like that. I got a ticket for being 3 inches out of my bay the other day £60... I've had it ki-bosched (?!) but I have to display a special parking permit in my screen which they obviously have to be able to see when the stasi are checking and ..hence... can't cover the car up. Still thinking of a solution.. small eye hole in the windscreen cover etc..VRM plate hole etc..
Mine too is parked beneath a young tree...... whcih might be a problem if we ever get a spring again. Boot remains dry.
The Eternal Optimist of the 9 Elms..

Thanks Medders. I have seen the car cover problem in London and folk seem to solve it by cutting a square hole which they replace with clear plastic thus revealing the permit. I guess the tricky part is bonding the clear to the rest of the cover and requires some sort of plastic "welding" . Would a soldering iron work ? Probably too hot for thin PVC type material ..... Is there any form of suitable adhesive ?
Fortunately my SL lives in the garage but when it was outside around Xmas a lot of wet got into the boot so the problem exists and I dont want to feel I cant go out in the rain as that would include any day with a y in it !
I will still have Olly waterproof it

I bought the XL breathable car cover for the SL350 ..from Halfords.... a couple of weeks ago....battleship grey with a nice bag £79 if I recall.

That sounds like the one I have.

but I have to display a special parking permit in my screen which they obviously have to be able to see when the stasi are checking and ..hence... can't cover the car up. Still thinking of a solution.. small eye hole in the windscreen cover etc..VRM plate hole etc..

Depending on how big you need the hole to be, find a piece of plastic drain pipe or a guttering down pipe fitting and cut a piece about 1" long. cut a hole in the cover, corresponding to the position of the windscreen badge.

Make the hole about 2" smaller than the pipe dia. Then make a series of radial cuts (to form flaps) to the size of the internal dia of the pipe so that the pipe is a tight fit in the cover. Push the pipe through the hole, from the inside so it's sticking out with the cut flaps sitting up the side of the pipe. Then, you could superglue (or whatever) the flaps to the sides of the pipe.

Then, a clear piece of polythene sheet, over the outside of the pipe and secured with a large jubilee clip. Trim off the excess. Et Voila! a waterproof window to your window.

Just an idle thought that may be of use. Usual disclaimers apply :)

Aitch & Richard , thanks again. I'm going to have to follow your advice. Aitch - I had to read you thread twice just to be sure. Another solution is in the offing...... the stasi are getting the sack by the management company for various draconian activity ...isuues all involving 'unreasonableness'. Im getting a weather proof permit to sew onto the cover. It's thr windscreen part anyway. Do you know of any problems with water ingress at the front part of the roof, bennet vents etc?
Thanks fellas.
medders

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom