Have you had this problem with keys after buying a second hand car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rusty55

Car
sl320
My pride and joy bought last year is my sl320 had two keys both remotes and work perfectly with remotes and of cause starting the car But !
Went to drive the car battery was flat ok so tried the old school way of opening the door only to find keys didn't work, lucky boot was ok with keys so able to charge battery after disconnection.
Never even thought of trying door lock with key when buying are new barrelled easy to get and fit

Happened to me a while back on my SLK230. Battery dead, none of the locks would work. Ended up soaking the barrel with penetrant spray and manually loosening it with a screwdriver. I did get some funny looks from some people driving past! Worked in the end and I was able to get into the car.

Will try that option first then my be the case as you only ever zap these days

My alternative was breaking the glass, so I was keen to try the spray and screwdriver. If you go down the screwdriver route, be gentle - I used a little bit too much force and bent the metal very slightly. All you need to do is loosen it really, after that it should be fine.

The locks seize up from lack of use. Mine is the same, I am applying WD40 in an attempt to avoid a more expensive alternative. Thanks for reminding me to do it again

It needs to be checked regularly

The locks seize up from lack of use. Mine is the same, I am applying WD40 in an attempt to avoid a more expensive alternative.

It needs to be checked regularly

Good point, will try mine tomorrow, thanks:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom